With 100% of precincts reporting, 5,080 residents voted on the proposition. Of those votes, 4,102 were cast in favor of the reauthorization and 978 were against it. This means 80.75% of residents voted to approve the ballot proposition while the other 19.25% of voters cast their ballot against it.
Election results will not be official until they are canvassed.
Update Nov. 5 at 9 p.m.: Support from Flower Mound voters to reauthorize the town's street maintenance sales and use tax rate continues to grow as early election results become available, according to the election departments in Denton and Tarrant counties.
With eight of 17 precincts reporting, 2,681 voters cast their ballot to approve the reauthorization, while 603 residents voted against reauthorizing the tax rate.
Earlier: Flower Mound residents had the chance Nov. 5 to vote for or against Proposition A, which, if approved, would reauthorize the town’s street maintenance sales and use tax at a rate of 0.0025%.
As of about 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 5, 1,801 votes on the proposition had been counted—1,487 of the ballots cast were to approve the tax rate reauthorization while 314 of the votes went toward not reauthorizing it.
If the tax rate is reauthorized, the town will maintain its street maintenance sales and use tax at a rate of 0.0025%. At this rate, a penny of every $4 a person spends in the town would go toward the street maintenance fund.
Voters first approved the tax in 2007 and reauthorized it in 2011 and 2015. According to the town, the tax must be reauthorized every four years, and the current authorization is set to expire March 31, 2020.
The tax is the primary funding source for the town’s street maintenance and reconstruction projects.
This report will be updated as additional results become available.