He will run against Kevin Simmons in the March Republican primary election, which is March 6.
Community Impact Newspaper sent Simmons a series of questions on his candidacy. His written responses, edited for publication style, are below.
Q: Why did you decide to run for this office?
Simmons: I ran for state representative in 2012 because I felt it was important to be involved in public service. I was fortunate enough to win and have now served three terms in the Texas House of Representatives. Accomplishments I am proud of include the following:
- Passed three consecutive budgets without raising taxes
- Reduced business taxes
- Increased protections for the unborn
- Increased funding for DPS for increased protection along our border against human smuggling and drug infiltration.
Q: What experience professionally or politically do you have that would prepare you for this position?
Simmons: I have served as state representative for House District 65 three terms past and it has been my pleasure. Prior to holding this office, I founded a wealth management firm, 30 years ago, with no clients. Currently my firm has grown to almost 2,000 clients and $2.5 billion in assets under management.
Q: If elected, what will your top priorities be?
1. Top priority is revamping the property tax system in conjunction with school finance reform without causing harm to cities, counties or school districts and providing relief to taxpayers.
2. Continue working to ensure TxDOT projects are selected by priority and not politics.
3. Passing a balanced budget that grows no more than population plus inflation.
Q: What else do you want constituents to know about you and your background?
Simmons: I have been married to my beautiful bride, Lisa, for 38 years. We have three adult children in the area and two awesome grandsons, ages 6 and 4. My wife and I have made it our personal passion to be a force for the disabled. Our middle child has high functioning autism. We know how difficult the journey can be for everyone in the family and want to do all we can through my role as state representative, personally and professionally- to be a voice for these families.