The number of registered electric vehicles in north Texas has increased by 63% between August 2022 and August 2023, according to data from the North Central Texas Council of Governments.

The big picture

Staff from the council of governments are expected to present the data at an upcoming Regional Transportation Council meeting Sept. 14 along with updates on upcoming programs and events related to electric vehicles.

Data is collected by the Dallas-Fort Worth Clean Cities initiative which was started by the U.S. Department of Energy in 1995 and is managed by the council of governments. The initiative aims to reduce total energy impacts in the transportation sector, according to the Regional Transportation Council’s Sept. 14 agenda.

As part of the initiative, Dallas-Fort Worth Clean Cities requests electric vehicle registration data from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and makes the information available online. The data breaks down electric vehicles by county, city and ZIP code.

By the numbers

Electric vehicles registered with the DMV have increased by 56% across the state. The Dallas-Fort Worth region has more electric vehicles than Austin, San Antonio and Houston, according to the staff presentation.
About 17% of all electric vehicles registered in Dallas-Fort Worth are hybrid vehicles, meaning they can operate on gasoline once the battery is depleted. The other 83% is made up of all-electric cars that need to be charged once the battery is depleted.

Electric vehicles make up about 1.21% of all registered vehicles in the Dallas-Fort Worth region, according to Dallas-Fort Worth Clean Cities.

Collin, Dallas, Denton and Tarrant Counties reported increases of more than 50% in registered electric vehicles, according to the presentation.
Collin, Dallas, Denton and Tarrant Counties also have the most electric vehicle chargers. Chargers listed are split into two types:
  • Level 2 plugs are charging equipment commonly used in residential and public spaces. Equipment can provide up to 25 miles of range per one hour of charging.
  • Direct-current fast charge plugs are charging equipment that enable rapid charging. Equipment can provide up to 200 miles or more per 30 minutes of charging.
Dates to know

Staff are expected to discuss the Texas Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Plan, Oncor’s “EVolution” program and two upcoming local events related to electric vehicles. The Regional Transportation Council will meet at 1 p.m. Sept. 14 at 616 Six Flags Drive, Arlington.

For more information about electric vehicles and infrastructure in Texas, go to