Denton County approves lowest tax rate in more than 30 years

0

Denton County’s adopted fiscal year 2019-20 budget includes the lowest tax rate the county has levied since 1986.

The Denton County Commissioners Court adopted a $321.5 million budget Sept. 17 with a tax rate of $0.225278 per $100 valuation, which is $0.000296 less than the FY 2018-19 tax rate.

The county is still projected to receive nearly $24 million more in property tax revenue with the lower tax rate than the previous year.

Like other Texas cities and counties, Denton County is projecting some revenue restrictions with the passage of new laws from the Texas Legislature that affect how cities and counties can collect fines and fees. The county is projecting a $2.1 million hit to its revenue because of new laws, according to the county’s adopted budget.

The county is adding nearly 30 new positions this next fiscal year that will support various offices.

View the current and previous budgets on the county’s website. The FY 2019-20 budget goes into effect Oct. 1.

Share this story
COMMENT

Leave A Reply

Lindsey Juarez Monsivais
Lindsey has been involved in newspapers in some form since high school. She graduated magna cum laude from the University of Texas at Arlington in 2014 with a degree in Journalism. While attending UTA, she worked for The Shorthorn, the university's award-winning student newspaper. She was hired as Community Impact Newspaper's first Frisco reporter in 2014. Less than a year later, she took over as the editor of the Frisco edition. Since then, she has covered a variety of topics and issues important to the community, including the city's affordable housing shortage, the state's controversial A-F school accountability system and the city's "Bury the Lines" efforts.
Back to top