Two-way traffic returns for the first time since October on the FM 3406 bridge at I-35 in Round Rock on Monday. The Texas Department of Transportation and city of Round Rock announced the bridge will open two months earlier than scheduled.
Barrels will be removed from the eastbound lanes by 5 a.m. Monday, eliminating a detour that many motorists said they worked to avoid. The bridge now has two lanes and a dedicated left-turn lane in each direction.
Social media showed the joy from area residents beginning with Friday’s announcement and through the weekend.
“I live [near]East Old Settlers,” said Louis Lopez on the Community Impact Newspaper Facebook page. “Never complained once. Good things come to those who wait. Way to go Round Rock.”
“So proud of all of those that have been working so hard on this project,” Venus Angel Cordova wrote on Facebook. “Sending mad props and love out to great people that I know and love for working on this and so many other projects just like it. Great job.”
TxDOT-led construction projects, especially larger projects, sometimes have built-in incentives for finishing and opening early.
Community Impact Newspaper has requested incentive information in the contract from TxDOT.
While the bridge opening gives motorists a clear path east and west over I-35, parts of the project will continue through the summer. There are also several closings schedule for this week in Round Rock, according to TxDOT.
· Temporary lane reductions will continue on the north and southbound I-35 frontage roads at FM 3406. The work is expected to take several weeks.
· Southbound I-35 frontage road reduced to one lane between RM 1431 and Wolle Lane from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. daily through Wednesday.
· Various southbound I-35 closures between RM 1431 and FM 3406 will take place from 9 p.m.-5 a.m. tonight through Tuesday.
· Various northbound I-35 frontage road closures between Gattis School Road and RM 620 will take place from 8 a.m.-3p.m. Monday through Friday.
· McNeil Road will be closed in both directions under I-35 from 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. Monday through Wednesday.