Austin Water is hosting a public engagement summer series called Water Forward to develop a 100-year integrated water resource plan.
Ginny Guerrero, community engagement specialist with Austin Water, said the goal is to gather community input to incorporate into the resource plan and understand the community’s concerns. She said a citizen task force, which meets every Tuesday, has been part of the development of this plan but the city wants to dive deeper into community input.
“We want to find out what is important to Austinites when it comes to water,” Guerrero said.
Some common concerns have been water conservation, water supply options, clean space drinking water, water reliability and environmental stewardship, according to Guerrero.
Meetings are held at a public library in each of the 10 City Council districts, and each meeting includes a brief overview and presentation on the progress of the project, a question and answer session and an open house, in which informational boards and staff will be on-site to answer questions. Attendees are provided with a frozen treat during the meeting, and children’s activities are also available.
“We hope folks will come see us, learn a little bit and participate in the next workshop at the end of the summer,” Guerrero said.
Meeting dates and locations:
- District 7: Saturday, July 15, 2:30-4 p.m., Milwood Branch Library
- District 6: Monday, July 17, 6-7:30 p.m., Spicewood Springs Branch Library
- District 9: Wednesday, July 19, 6-7:30 p.m., Twin Oaks Branch Library
- District 4, Saturday, July 22, 2-3:30 p.m., Little Walnut Creek Branch Library
- District 3: Saturday, July 29, 2-3:30 p.m., Ruiz Branch Library
- District 10, Monday, July 31, 6:30- 8 p.m., Old Quarry Branch Library
- District 8, Saturday, Aug. 5, 2-3:30 p.m., Hampton Branch Library
- District 5, Tuesday, Aug. 8, 6- 7:30 p.m., Manchaca Branch Library
- District 1, Saturday, Aug. 12, 11 a.m.- 12:30 p.m., Windsor Park Branch Library
Feedback is also being accepted online on the Water Forward Summer Series website.