Plans to boost performance at four Austin ISD schools that received negative ratings under the Texas Education Agency’s accountability system were approved 8-0-1 at tonight’s board of trustees meeting. Board President Kendall Pace abstained.
According to AISD, campuses rated Improvement Required in 2017 must participate in the Texas Accountability Intervention System, which includes an in-depth data analysis and a comprehensive needs assessment to determine areas in need of improvement. In response, improvement plans have been drafted for Govalle Elementary School as well as Burnet, Martin and Mendez middle schools.
Templated plans are provided to the district by the Texas Education Agency. Throughout the year, campuses work to reach certain benchmarks. Progress is monitored by the district as well as an agency representative, Superintendent Paul Cruz explained.
The following provides a snapshot of improvement strategies planned for each campus:
Govalle Elementary School
- Monitor, develop and implement a campuswide literacy plan.
- Monitor, develop and implement a rigorous writing plan for fourth-grade teachers and students.
- Design, implement and monitor a campuswide program that focuses on supporting positive classroom environments.
Burnet Middle School
- Consistently implement and monitor the use of high-yield reading strategies in English Language Arts, or ELA, classrooms that will support students across the content areas, including electives.
Martin Middle School
- Create Professional Learning Communities, or PLCs, across content areas and grade levels to ensure instructional planning and delivery with fidelity and time for teachers to analyze data and develop instructional strategies for all students, especially English Language Learners
2. Design, implement and monitor a campuswide program that focuses on supporting positive classroom environments and integrates social-emotional learning, or SEL, into the curriculum.
Mendez Middle School
- Professional Learning Communities will be created in all content areas, across all grade levels to ensure instructional planning and delivery with fidelity and time for teachers to analyze data and develop instructional strategies for all students, especially English‐Language Learners.
- Design, implement and monitor a campuswide program that focuses on supporting positive classroom environments and integrates SEL into the curriculum.