Two previous sanctuaries housed the church at the corner of Hutchison and Fredericksburg streets before the current one was erected in 1893. (Eric Weilbacher/Community Impact Newspaper)
The First United Methodist Church of San Marcos celebrated 175 years in the San Marcos community Aug. 7. What began as a congregation of nine people in a log cabin home in 1847 grew into several incarnations of sanctuary buildings at the church’s current location, 129 W. Hutchison St., San Marcos. The current sanctuary was built in 1893. 512-392-6001. Service times and events can be found on the website, www.fumcsm.org.
Eric joined Community Impact Newspaper as an editor in July 2021, returning to journalism after several years in the New Braunfels business community. Prior to CI, Eric freelanced for multiple publications and was a reporter for the New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung.