Texas residents planning to cast votes in the Nov. 3 general election have until Oct. 5 to register to vote. Those who have had recent name and/or address changes have the same deadline to update their voter registration status.
An important consideration for students and other voters who may be registered in other states or Texas counties is that only citizens registered to vote in Hays County can cast ballots at Hays County polling locations.
Hays County voters will be selecting candidates in local, state and federal races, with early voting running from Oct. 13-30. The last day to apply for ballot by mail is Oct. 23.
Citizens can confirm their voter registration status at the Texas Secretary of State’s Office website.
People registered to vote in Hays County can vote at any of the county's polling locations during early voting and on Election Day. Locations can be found on the map above and on the Hays County elections page, where there are also sample ballots and other important information about Election Day.
Registration eligibility laws require applicants to:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be a United States citizen;
- Not have been determined by a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
- Not have been finally convicted of a felony, or, if convicted, to have fully discharged the sentence, completed a period of probation ordered by any court or been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote; and
- Be a resident of the county in which the application for registration is made.
Those who have not yet registered to vote have several options.
- Download and print an application in English or Spanish.
- Request an application online from the Texas Secretary of State's Office.
- Call 512-393-7310 to contact the Hays County Elections and Voting Office.
- Pick up an application at a local U.S. post office, library, county offices, Texas Department of Public Safety office or Texas Department of Human Services office.
Completed applications can be mailed within 30 days of the election to the address below.
712 S. Stagecoach Trail, Ste. 1012
San Marcos, TX 78666-5999