Austin-based startup Casata bringing microhomes to San Marcos

The new development is located a few miles away from downtown San Marcos. (Rendering courtesy Casata)
The new development is located a few miles away from downtown San Marcos. (Rendering courtesy Casata)

The new development is located a few miles away from downtown San Marcos. (Rendering courtesy Casata)

Image description
The new development is located a few miles away from downtown San Marcos. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
San Marcos City Council unanimously approved a development agreement Dec. 7 with Austin-based startup Casata to build a new microhome development a few miles from downtown. Just over 200 rental homes will be built on 25 acres of land, ranging from 400-1,100 square feet with one to three bedrooms for rent from $1,175-$1,800.

"We're in between tiny homes and regular homes. They're more efficient, and they're independent, physical homes," Technology and Marketing Manager Forrest Hardy said. "They are attainable housing, so they're housing for he middle class, and it's a really nice alternative for apartment homes."


Hardy added 90% of the homes will be long-term rental units, while the remaining 10% will be short-term rentals listed on Airbnb and Vrbo.

"This is a really significant addition to San Marcos and something that San Marcos doesn't have right now: microhomes for rent," Hardy said.

The development is expected to break ground this year, though there is no definitive timeline set for completion.
By Zara Flores
Zara joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in August 2021. Prior to CI, she interned at Picket Fence Media in Southern California and graduated from Cal State Fullerton where she was assistant news editor for the Daily Titan and copy editor for Tusk Magazine. Zara covers education, business, government and more for Buda, Kyle and San Marcos.