Camps, fireworks and rock n roll: Your July to-do list for Round Rock, Pflugerville and Hutto

Courtesy city of Round Rock
Courtesy city of Round Rock

Courtesy city of Round Rock

Courtesy Uncle Brent
Courtesy Lonestar Dance Center
Starting at the beginning of the month and holding strong all the way until August, the to-do list in the Round Rock-Pflugerville-Hutto area is extensive.

July 3

Sertoma Independence Day Parade

The City of Round Rock is hosting its Annual Sertoma Independence Day Parade on Mays St., between Mays Crossing and Hwy. 79. The parade will feature helium inflatables and community groups trailing the 1.5-mile route beginning at 8:30 a.m. The festivities will continue with Frontier Days at Old Settlers Park at noon. Featured activities include a Cowboy sing-along, pig races, a performance of Ballet Folklorico, free ice cream and live music by the Austin Symphonic Band at 8:30 p.m. A live concert with Uptown Drive will follow the fireworks show. Free admission. Parade: Mays St., between Mays Crossing and Hwy. 79. Frontier Days: Old Settlers Park, 3300 E Palm Valley Blvd., Round Rock. 512-341-3361. www.roundrocktexas.gov

July 2, 3, 4

Red, White & Boom Fourth of July Festival

The city of Pflugerville in partnership with Typhoon Texas will host three days of in-park entertainment that includes two nights of fireworks. The event will feature live entertainment, vendors and carnival activities. Tethered hot air balloon rides will be available for Typhoon Texas season pass holders. 10:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday, 10:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. 18500 TX-130 Service Rd., Pflugerville. 512-212-7792. www.typhoontexas.com/austin

July 3

Heroes Against Hunger Day - 5K and live music

Backpack Friends is hosting a charity 5K and live music event to raise money and awareness for child hunger. Featured throughout the day will be food trucks, vendors, a raffle and live music. There will also be a Kids K run. The event will start at 9 a.m. Registration fees for the 5K are $25 for adults and $10 for children. 200 E. Pecan St., Pflugerville. 512-965-3052. www.backpackfriends.com

July 4

Fourth of July celebration

The city of Hutto will hold its Fourth of July celebration at the Brushy Creek Amphitheater. There will be performances by country singer Jack Ingram, Austin-based band The Peterson Brothers and Mia Garcia. The event will include food trucks, local vendors, kids’ activities and a fireworks show. Gates open at 4:30 p.m. Free admission and $5 parking. 1001 Co Rd. 137, Hutto. 512-759-4015. www.brushycreekamp.com

July 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

School of Rock Classic Rewind Camp

Round Rock’s School of Rock music school’s Classic Rock Rewind Camp teaches young musicians music of the ’60s and ’70s, including selections from The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones. The summer camp will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 pm. Enrollment fees are $495 per child. 4500 E. Palm Valley Blvd., Round Rock. 512-246-7625. www.locations.schoolofrock.com/roundrock

July 12, 13, 14

TikTok Hip Hop Dance Workshop

The Lonestar Dance Center is hosting a three-day dance workshop that breaks down choreography, teaches hip hop classes and has attendees make a music video. The class is designed as an introduction to the hip hop dance style and provides new opportunities for dancers. 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Registration costs $150. 2606 W. Pecan St., Pflugerville. 512-670-0301. www.lonestardance.com/camps

Juiy 16

The Distillery Comedy Tour

The nationwide tour features stand-up comedians with various performance backgrounds, including festivals, TV and club appearances. The tour of comedians has already performed at 1,500 breweries throughout the country and will stop at the Spirit of Texas brewery in Pflugerville. 8-9:30 p.m. $12 general admission. 1715 Dalshank St., Pflugerville. 512-989-9292. www.spiritoftx.com

July 17

Concert in Prete Plaza: Canciones, raíces y alas

An all-ages concert given by Canciones, raíces y alas (CRYA) will be held in Prete Plaza July 17. The concert is hosted by the Round Rock Public Library. CRYA is a musical project intended to create family-friendly Spanish language music for children and their families. 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Free admission. Prete Main Street Plaza, 221 E. Main St., Round Rock. 512-218-7001. www.roundrocktexas.gov

July 19-23

Selena Camp

Girls ages 4-16 years old will learn a cumbia routine, design a costume and perform within a week at Infusion Dance in Pflugerville. A non-refundable deposit of $50 per student is due at registration. Clothing and materials are included in the camp fee. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. $50 deposit, $175 camp fee. 1202 Farm to Market 685 Ste C8, Pflugerville. 512-909-2649. www.idtexas.com/summer-camps.html

July 21

Uncle Brent at the Downtown Hall of Fame

American-rock singer Uncle Brent will perform an acoustic show at the Downtown Hall of Fame. Uncle Brent performs original music with a focus on storytelling and is influenced by classic artists including Tom Petty and Reckless Kelly. The Downtown Hall of Fame serves craft burgers, draft beer and homemade desserts. 6 p.m. Free. 205 East St., Hutto. 512-642-3642. www.thedowntownhalloffame.com

July 22

Outdoor Open Mic Night

After of a year of being shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Outdoor Open Mic Night has returned to The Three-Legged Goat. The weekly event at Pflugerville’s downtown wine bar is known for performances from poets, musicians and vocalists who come from areas spanning from South Austin to Georgetown. 6:30-10:30 p.m. Free. 200 E. Pecan St., Ste. 5, Pflugerville. 512-968-0386. www.threeleggedgoatatx.com

July 24

Autism Acceptance Event

The Round Rock Police Department, along with autism support organization BlueSprig, will host an Autism Acceptance event that will include bouncy houses, games, shaved ice and educational opportunities. Representative from RRPD-sponsored programs KIDS ID and Take Me Home will be in attendance. Free admission. 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. 1510 Greenlawn Blvd., Round Rock. 512-218-5400. www.roundrocktexas.gov

July 28

Driving Business Forward Golf Tournament

The Hutto Chamber of Commerce will host a golf tournament to connect with members and network. The tournament will take place at The Golf Club at Star Ranch. Participants may register individually or in teams of four. $100 individual. $400 team. 7 a.m.-2 p.m. 2500 FM 685, Hutto. 512-759-4400. cm.huttochamber.com/events

July 31

Brady’s Bridge Super Family Fund Run

Nonprofit Brady’s Bridge is hosting an event with multiple fun run options. Runners may choose from a chip-timed 5K or a 5K workout challenge with Camp Gladiator which includes five activity challenges throughout and a 1-mile fun run. There will also be a virtual 1-mile fun run and 5K. Brady’s Bridge offers after school care for children of all abilities, including special needs, and proceeds from the run will benefit the nonprofit. Starts at 8 a.m. Each option has a $30 registration fee. Lakeview Pavillion, Old Settlers Park, 3300 E Palm Valley Blvd., Round Rock. www.bradysbridge.org/run/
By Brooke Sjoberg
Brooke Sjoberg is the Round Rock reporter for the Round Rock and Pflugerville/Hutto editions of Community Impact Newspaper. She worked for The Gonzales Inquirer, The Daily Texan and The Daily Dot among other publications before coming to Community Impact. Brooke is from Seguin, TX and graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in 2020. Her last name is pronounced Show-burg.
By Megan Cardona

Reporter, Round Rock, Pflugerville-Hutto

Megan is the Hutto reporter for Community Impact Newspaper's Round Rock and Pflugerville-Hutto editions. In 2020, she graduated with a degree in communication from UT-Arlington, where she worked at the student newspaper, The Shorthorn, for two years covering student affairs, campus administration and the city of Arlington.

Want to know more about new businesses coming to the area? Below you can find details on the five latest commercial permits filed in Round Rock, Pflugerville and Hutto. (Photo courtesy Canva)
Check out the 5 latest commercial permits filed in Round Rock, Pflugerville and Hutto

The following commercial permits for new businesses or renovations to existing ones have been filed in the past two weeks through the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

music in the park music on main street live music in pflugerville hutto and round rock
Live music and other things to do this week in Round Rock and Pflugerville, Sept. 28-30

Listen to live honky-tonk music, learn how to make homemade sushi and have a family night out on Main Street.

The downtown Round Rock location of Lamppost Coffee will reopen Sept. 27, according to signage recently added to the front door. (Brooke Sjoberg/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lamppost Coffee to reopen in downtown Round Rock during the week of Sept. 27

The downtown Round Rock location of Lamppost Coffee will reopen "the week of Sept. 27," according to signage recently added to the front door.

Kyle City Council voted 6-1 and approved the new citywide trail master plan that will utilize 2020 bond election funds for trails that will help connect Austin to San Antonio. (Courtesy Pexels)
CI Nation roundup: Perfect Game coming to Cedar Park; Kyle City Council approves trail master plan to connect Austin to San Antonio and more top stories

Take a look at the top five trending stories across all of Community Impact Newspaper’s coverage areas as of Sept. 24.

Superintendent Stephanie Elizalde said Sept. 23 though the district has been awarded emergency funding, it has only had access to a fraction of it. (Maggie Quinlan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Austin ISD superintendent lays out barriers to receiving emergency funding

Superintendent Stephanie Elizalde said while it seems that the district has received "millions and millions," it has been able to use a fraction of granted emergency funds.

Wayback Burgers specializes in cooked-to-order burgers and hand-dipped milkshakes. (Courtesy Wayback Burgers)
Wayback Burgers coming to Leander; former Round Rock Steak N' Shake to become Whataburger and more top Central Texas news

Read the top business and community news from the past week from the Central Texas area.

Round Rock Mayor Craig Morgan was authorized by the City Council Sept. 23 to execute a meet and confer agreement with the Round Rock Police Association. (Brooke Sjoberg/Community Impact Newspaper)
Round Rock City Council authorizes mayor to execute meet and confer agreement with Round Rock Police Association

This agreement outlines how the city will conduct business with its police officers, as far as practices and functions that are appropriate to the governing body operating in a "responsible and effective manner."

Transportation Director Gary Hudder presented the project to the Round Rock City Council. (Brooke Sjoberg/Community Impact Newspaper)
$23.4 million contract awarded for construction of Kenney Fort Boulevard segments 2 and 3

Once completed, Kenney Fort Boulevard will be one of few north-south thoroughfares in the city with a limited number of intersections, which Transportation Director Gary Hudder said will affect the quickness with which drivers can cut through the city.

Final approval for a 110.54-acre planned unit development to be located across Kenney Fort Blvd. from Kalahari Resorts Texas was given by the Round Rock City Council Sept. 23. (Brooke Sjoberg/Community Impact Newspaper)
Kenney Fort planned unit development receives final rezoning approval from Round Rock City Council

The Round Rock City Council gave final approval for the rezoning of a 110.54-acre plot of land from mixed use to planned use development.

See the 5 latest commercial permits filed in Round Rock, Pflugerville and Hutto

Here are some of the permits that have been filed in the past week through the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

round rock residents watching a movie in yodlers point in old settlers park
5 things to do in Round Rock this weekend, Sept. 24-26

Make plans to take advantage of all that Round Rock has to offer this weekend, including a downtown art show, outdoor movie night and stargazing event.