Camps, fireworks and rock n roll: Your July to-do list for Round Rock, Pflugerville and Hutto

Courtesy city of Round Rock
Courtesy city of Round Rock

Courtesy city of Round Rock

Courtesy Uncle Brent
Courtesy Lonestar Dance Center
Starting at the beginning of the month and holding strong all the way until August, the to-do list in the Round Rock-Pflugerville-Hutto area is extensive.

July 3

Sertoma Independence Day Parade

The City of Round Rock is hosting its Annual Sertoma Independence Day Parade on Mays St., between Mays Crossing and Hwy. 79. The parade will feature helium inflatables and community groups trailing the 1.5-mile route beginning at 8:30 a.m. The festivities will continue with Frontier Days at Old Settlers Park at noon. Featured activities include a Cowboy sing-along, pig races, a performance of Ballet Folklorico, free ice cream and live music by the Austin Symphonic Band at 8:30 p.m. A live concert with Uptown Drive will follow the fireworks show. Free admission. Parade: Mays St., between Mays Crossing and Hwy. 79. Frontier Days: Old Settlers Park, 3300 E Palm Valley Blvd., Round Rock. 512-341-3361. www.roundrocktexas.gov

July 2, 3, 4

Red, White & Boom Fourth of July Festival

The city of Pflugerville in partnership with Typhoon Texas will host three days of in-park entertainment that includes two nights of fireworks. The event will feature live entertainment, vendors and carnival activities. Tethered hot air balloon rides will be available for Typhoon Texas season pass holders. 10:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday, 10:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. 18500 TX-130 Service Rd., Pflugerville. 512-212-7792. www.typhoontexas.com/austin

July 3

Heroes Against Hunger Day - 5K and live music

Backpack Friends is hosting a charity 5K and live music event to raise money and awareness for child hunger. Featured throughout the day will be food trucks, vendors, a raffle and live music. There will also be a Kids K run. The event will start at 9 a.m. Registration fees for the 5K are $25 for adults and $10 for children. 200 E. Pecan St., Pflugerville. 512-965-3052. www.backpackfriends.com

July 4

Fourth of July celebration

The city of Hutto will hold its Fourth of July celebration at the Brushy Creek Amphitheater. There will be performances by country singer Jack Ingram, Austin-based band The Peterson Brothers and Mia Garcia. The event will include food trucks, local vendors, kids’ activities and a fireworks show. Gates open at 4:30 p.m. Free admission and $5 parking. 1001 Co Rd. 137, Hutto. 512-759-4015. www.brushycreekamp.com

July 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

School of Rock Classic Rewind Camp

Round Rock’s School of Rock music school’s Classic Rock Rewind Camp teaches young musicians music of the ’60s and ’70s, including selections from The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and The Rolling Stones. The summer camp will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 pm. Enrollment fees are $495 per child. 4500 E. Palm Valley Blvd., Round Rock. 512-246-7625. www.locations.schoolofrock.com/roundrock

July 12, 13, 14

TikTok Hip Hop Dance Workshop

The Lonestar Dance Center is hosting a three-day dance workshop that breaks down choreography, teaches hip hop classes and has attendees make a music video. The class is designed as an introduction to the hip hop dance style and provides new opportunities for dancers. 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Registration costs $150. 2606 W. Pecan St., Pflugerville. 512-670-0301. www.lonestardance.com/camps

Juiy 16

The Distillery Comedy Tour

The nationwide tour features stand-up comedians with various performance backgrounds, including festivals, TV and club appearances. The tour of comedians has already performed at 1,500 breweries throughout the country and will stop at the Spirit of Texas brewery in Pflugerville. 8-9:30 p.m. $12 general admission. 1715 Dalshank St., Pflugerville. 512-989-9292. www.spiritoftx.com

July 17

Concert in Prete Plaza: Canciones, raíces y alas

An all-ages concert given by Canciones, raíces y alas (CRYA) will be held in Prete Plaza July 17. The concert is hosted by the Round Rock Public Library. CRYA is a musical project intended to create family-friendly Spanish language music for children and their families. 10:30 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. Free admission. Prete Main Street Plaza, 221 E. Main St., Round Rock. 512-218-7001. www.roundrocktexas.gov

July 19-23

Selena Camp

Girls ages 4-16 years old will learn a cumbia routine, design a costume and perform within a week at Infusion Dance in Pflugerville. A non-refundable deposit of $50 per student is due at registration. Clothing and materials are included in the camp fee. 10 a.m.-1 p.m. $50 deposit, $175 camp fee. 1202 Farm to Market 685 Ste C8, Pflugerville. 512-909-2649. www.idtexas.com/summer-camps.html

July 21

Uncle Brent at the Downtown Hall of Fame

American-rock singer Uncle Brent will perform an acoustic show at the Downtown Hall of Fame. Uncle Brent performs original music with a focus on storytelling and is influenced by classic artists including Tom Petty and Reckless Kelly. The Downtown Hall of Fame serves craft burgers, draft beer and homemade desserts. 6 p.m. Free. 205 East St., Hutto. 512-642-3642. www.thedowntownhalloffame.com

July 22

Outdoor Open Mic Night

After of a year of being shut down due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Outdoor Open Mic Night has returned to The Three-Legged Goat. The weekly event at Pflugerville’s downtown wine bar is known for performances from poets, musicians and vocalists who come from areas spanning from South Austin to Georgetown. 6:30-10:30 p.m. Free. 200 E. Pecan St., Ste. 5, Pflugerville. 512-968-0386. www.threeleggedgoatatx.com

July 24

Autism Acceptance Event

The Round Rock Police Department, along with autism support organization BlueSprig, will host an Autism Acceptance event that will include bouncy houses, games, shaved ice and educational opportunities. Representative from RRPD-sponsored programs KIDS ID and Take Me Home will be in attendance. Free admission. 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. 1510 Greenlawn Blvd., Round Rock. 512-218-5400. www.roundrocktexas.gov

July 28

Driving Business Forward Golf Tournament

The Hutto Chamber of Commerce will host a golf tournament to connect with members and network. The tournament will take place at The Golf Club at Star Ranch. Participants may register individually or in teams of four. $100 individual. $400 team. 7 a.m.-2 p.m. 2500 FM 685, Hutto. 512-759-4400. cm.huttochamber.com/events

July 31

Brady’s Bridge Super Family Fund Run

Nonprofit Brady’s Bridge is hosting an event with multiple fun run options. Runners may choose from a chip-timed 5K or a 5K workout challenge with Camp Gladiator which includes five activity challenges throughout and a 1-mile fun run. There will also be a virtual 1-mile fun run and 5K. Brady’s Bridge offers after school care for children of all abilities, including special needs, and proceeds from the run will benefit the nonprofit. Starts at 8 a.m. Each option has a $30 registration fee. Lakeview Pavillion, Old Settlers Park, 3300 E Palm Valley Blvd., Round Rock. www.bradysbridge.org/run/
By Brooke Sjoberg
Brooke Sjoberg is the Round Rock reporter for the Round Rock and Pflugerville/Hutto editions of Community Impact Newspaper. She worked for The Gonzales Inquirer, The Daily Texan and The Daily Dot among other publications before coming to Community Impact. Brooke is from Seguin, TX and graduated from The University of Texas at Austin in 2020. Her last name is pronounced Show-burg.
By Megan Cardona

Reporter, Round Rock, Pflugerville-Hutto

Megan is the Hutto reporter for Community Impact Newspaper's Round Rock and Pflugerville-Hutto editions. In 2020, she graduated with a degree in communication from UT-Arlington, where she worked at the student newspaper, The Shorthorn, for two years covering student affairs, campus administration and the city of Arlington.

The coffee chain offers hot and cold beverages, such as cold brew and frozen coffee as well as its own energy drink and muffins. (Brooke Sjoberg/Community Impact Newspaper)
Dutch Bros Coffee opens in Round Rock

Dutch Bros Coffee held a grand opening for its 1700 E. Palm Valley Blvd., Ste. 850, Round Rock, location July …

The city’s first railroad quiet zone went into effect July 6, restricting train operators from blowing horns from CR 172 to Burnet Road, according to a press release from the city. (Taylor Jackson Buchanan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Round Rock implements first phase of railroad quiet zone

Phase 1 the city of Round Rock's railroad quiet zone went into effect July 6.

Round Rock City Council approved rezoning of property around the Dell campus to allow for its use as a data center. (Courtesy Switch)
Round Rock City Council rezones property near Dell HQ for Switch

Round Rock City Council approved a rezoning of property adjacent to the Dell Technologies global headquarters, which will be occupied by Switch's data center, July 22.

A planned unit development intended to be occupied entirely by rental units was unanimously approved for rezoning by Round Rock City Council on July 22. (Courtesy city of Round Rock)
Round Rock officials approve zoning change for Bell Yard rental community

Round Rock City Council approves rezoning of property for the Bell Yard planned unit development, which will be made up entirely of rental homes.

Round Rock ISD announced July 22 that a virtual learning option would be provided for students in kindergarten through sixth grade, citing COVID-19 vaccine availability and Williamson County's recent increase in reported cases. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Round Rock ISD announces virtual learning for grades K-6 this fall

Round Rock ISD announced July 22 that it will offer virtual learning for students in kindergarten through sixth grade and release its COVID-19 safety plan July 29.

Mortgage purchase applications are down year over year, but the Austin housing market remains hot. (Benton Graham/Community Impact Newspaper)
Austin housing market still hot but showing signs of slowing down

Experts say that a decrease in mortgage purchase applications points to “a reversion back to norm” in the Austin housing market.

Peter Lake (left), chair of the Public Utility Commission of Texas, and Brad Jones, interim president and CEO of the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, provided an update on state regulators' electric grid redesign efforts in Austin on July 22. (Ben Thompson/Community Impact Newspaper)
Regulators: Texas electric grid prepared for potentially record-breaking demand next week; 'once-in-a-generation reforms' underway

The heads of the agencies in charge of the Texas electric grid met in Austin on July 22 to provide updates on their grid reform efforts.

Z'Tejas margarita
Where to celebrate National Tequila Day this year around Austin

From mezcal bars to frozen margarita specials, here is a list of places to celebrate National Tequila Day on July 24.

Chief Jeff Yarbrough said he and Assistant Chief Jim Williby will travel to New Orleans on July 29 to present the department’s four-pillar policing model, which focuses on school safety, racial equity, behavioral health and student advocacy. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Round Rock ISD police chief to present department model at national conference

Round Rock ISD Police Chief Jeff Yarbrough and Assistant Chief Jim Lewis will present their department's four-pillar policing model at a national conference.

WCCHD vaccination drive
Outside consultants to review programs, performance of Williamson County’s health district

The firm will review services and programs offered by the Williamson County and Cities Health District as well as the performance of different departments.

Goodwill opened its third Round Rock location July 8. (Brooke Sjoberg/Community Impact Newspaper)
Goodwill opens third Round Rock location in Teravista

Goodwill held a grand opening for its new Teravista location July 8.