Two draft calendars for the 2020-21 academic year were presented to the board Jan. 17. The options were compiled by the district's calendar committee, which is composed of administrators, staff, teachers and parents. Community members are invited to provide feedback on the options before the board makes a decision on the calendars at its Feb. 21 regular meeting.
Both calendar options include 75,600 operational minutes and two days banked in case of inclement weather, according to the committee's Jan. 17 presentation.
Both calendar options also include:
- The school year begins during the third week of August for students and teachers.
- A full week off for Thanksgiving, two full weeks off for winter break, a full week off for spring break and Good Friday off in April.
- The last school day for students in December falls on a Thursday with a Friday workday for staff.
- The last instructional day of the school year occurs before Memorial Day.
Differences between the calendar options include:
- Option 1 calls for the year to start and end on a Thursday allowing for the May final exams to fit in one week.
- Option 2 calls for the year to start and end on a Wednesday, which would split the May final exam week but balance the number of days in the two semesters.
Community members can view Option 1 here and Option 2 here. The survey to provide feedback on the calendars is available in English and in Spanish.