Pflugerville City Council members chose one of three conceptual design plans and selected official names for three new additions to the city’s park system during a regular meeting April 26.
The future 243-acre community park and sports complex located east of SH 130 off Cameron Road was named the 1849 Park.
Two other future parks were named—the park next to Stone Hill Town Center will be known as Stone Hill Park, and the park along the Great Basin Avenue and Kinston Lacy Boulevard in the Highland Park subdivision was named Wilbarger Creek Park.
According to a statement released by the city, the naming of 1849 Park is in recognition of the year Henry Pfluger came to the area and to highlight the Pfluger family’s role in the development of the Pflugerville community.
“This is the Henry Pfluger homestead. This is essentially where Pflugerville started,” City Manager Brandon Wade said. "To think about that, this is more than just a sports park, this is the community’s park—the large park for the community.”
At the Council’s direction, city staff spent several months seeking public input and conducting community forums before presenting council members with a three-page list of suggested names.
Also during the meeting, Council members unanimously approved a motion by Place 1 Councilman Wayne Cooper to pursue Phase 1, Option B for constructing 1849 Park.
In the proposed $10.15 million plan, the Council agreed to divert some of the funds from the 2014 parks bond for Lake Pflugerville improvements and replace those bond funds with utility fund money to help pay for the project.
The Council asked city staff to continue working on design plans that will reduce costs and return with a workable alternative at that level [$10.15 million] of funding to begin Phase 1.