Plan 1 map approved by Hutto ISD for 2016-17.[/caption]
Trustees unanimously approved Plan 1, which was one of three proposals presented for community input and received the highest recommendation from district officials.
“On all three plans, those most impacted by all of this are the folks in Riverwalk, Lakeside Estates and Star Ranch, because all of them will move to a brand new school,” Hutto ISD Superintendent Doug Killian said.
On Jan. 27, school officials held a public meeting that gave parents and residents an opportunity to ask questions and voice concerns over the proposed changes.
Based on population projections, officials are trying to prevent overcrowding at the district’s five elementary campuses, which are currently at a full capacity rate of 94 percent.
Officials said rapid growth and a significant increase in the number of elementary students prompted the construction of Howard Norman Elementary—the district’s sixth elementary campus—scheduled to open this year by June 1.
Killian told board members the district is projected to reach a level of 88 percent full capacity at the elementary level by the 2018-19 school year, and the district should begin planning another elementary campus in the next two years.
“I think we’re going to have to start with plans for another elementary school and another re-zoning, at that time,” Killian said.
Details of the approved Plan 1
· SH 130 will serve as the boundary for Veterans Hill and Cottonwood Creek Elementary Schools
· Students in the Emory Creek subdivision will attend Cottonwood Creek Elementary
· Students in the Legends of Hutto subdivision, south of Carl Stern Boulevard, will attend Nadine Johnson Elementary (from Herrera to Blackman Street)
· The new Howard Norman Elementary will be home for students in the Riverwalk, The Park at Brushy Creek, Star Ranch and Lakeside Estates subdivisions.
· Students who live east of FM 1660 and north of Carl Stern Boulevard will attend Hutto Elementary School, and students living east of FM 1660 and south of Carl Stern will attend Ray Elementary