Local distillery adds a sweet touch to liquor
In 2009, after trying to make the perfect Jell-O shot, Frank Findlay Jr. decided to experiment with creating his own alcohol. After researching products and processes, he opened Brushy Creek Distillery and started making his Findlay's Vodka, which hit liquor store shelves in June.
Most of the vodkas for sale in liquor stores are made from grains, but Round Rock's Brushy Creek Distillery is one of only a few manufacturers to distill its product from honey.
Findlay purchases gallons of honey from Walker Honey Farm in Roger, Texas, and uses it as the base for his products. Although he originally experimented with corn for his product, Findlay said he preferred the taste of the batches made with honey.
"It gives you a bit of a different flavor than you tend to get out of [traditional] vodka," he said. "[Findlay vodkas] retain a little more taste than a grain alcohol."
The distillery produces two types of vodka: Findlay's Vodka, which is distilled from honey and dark brown cane sugar, and Findlay's Black Bee Vodka, which is distilled purely from honey. While the alcohol removes most of the honey and sugar tastes from the vodka, some customers say they can taste sweet undertones of sugar and honey.
"Some people think it's a little sweeter," Findlay said. "Because we start with something that has such a strong flavor in the beginning, it tends to retain more flavor."
In the future, Findlay said he hopes to continue expanding his business, including purchasing a larger cooking still for bigger batches. Currently the distillery produces approximately 100 gallons per month.
Where Findlay's Vodka is sold
- Andy's Wine and Spirits, 110 N. I-35, Ste. 200, Round Rock
- CRS Liquor, 1100 Grand Avenue Parkway, Ste. 104, Pflugerville
- Lil' Liquors, 4500 E. Palm Valley Blvd., Ste. 116, Round Rock
- The Liquor Cabinet, 1100 Gattis School Road, Round Rock
- Moon Dance, 3720 Gattis School Road, Ste. 900, Round Rock
- My Choice Liquors, 1601 S. I-35, Ste. 390, Round Rock
- Pecan Liquor, 1912 W. Pecan St., Ste. 205, Pflugerville
- Spec's, 201 University Oaks Blvd., Round Rock
- Wild Bill Liquor, 602 McNeil Road, Ste. 120, Round Rock