New Braunfels City Council approved the joint contract between the city and New Braunfels Utilities with a Capital Excavation company to complete phase two of the construction during a regular meeting on May 8.
- Walnut Avenue to FM 725
- Widen roadway to a four-lane section
- Replace low water crossing with bridge structure
- 10-foot shared-use path and a 6-foot sidewalk
- Underground storm sewer
- NBU water line relocation
- Total Phase 2 construction cost: $14.46 million
- Funded through 2013 and 2019 bonds
- Capital excavation (city portion): $12.89 million
- Construction contingency: 7% or $902,399
- Design engineer construction administration: $278,582
- Construction materials testing: $384,000
- May 2023 to fall 2024
The first reading of the item was approved unanimously by council. Beginning May 30, Klein Road will close from Dove Crossing to Roadrunner Avenue for four months to build a bridge over a low-water crossing. The detour route will be to travel north on Walnut Avenue or FM 725 to County Line Road, according to the city.
“We have to decide which vehicle we use to go [down Klein Road,] my truck or my wife's vehicle, so this is very much needed,” District 2 Council Member Christopher Willis said.