Applications are due by March 31, and appointments under the spring term will end May 31 each year with the new appointment beginning on June 1, according to the city.
“This is a unique opportunity for New Braunfels residents to get involved in their local government,” City Secretary Gayle Wilkinson said. “These boards and commissions provide recommendations to New Braunfels City Council, so your participation directly affects decisions that are made in our community.”
The city of New Braunfels will host an open house from 5-8 p.m. Feb. 15 at the Westside Community Center. The come-and-go event will allow residents the opportunity to learn more about the various boards and commissions for the city and give those interested in participating a chance to fill out applications, according to the city.
The committees that are accepting applications are as follows:
- Airport Advisory Board: two seats available
- Arts Commission: two seats available
- Central Texas Technology Center Advisory Board: two seats available
- Construction Board of Appeals: 11 seats available
- Downtown Board: four seats available
- Ethics Commission: three seats available
- Heritage Commission: two seats available
- Historic Landmark Commission: full but accepting applications for potential unexpired terms
- Housing Authority Board of Commissioners: two seats available
- Planning Commission: three seats available
- Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ No. 1) – Creekside: three seats available
- Traffic & Transportation Advisory Board: three seats available
- Watershed Advisory Committee: four seats available
- Zoning Board of Adjustment: four seats available
- Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone (TIRZ No.3) — Downtown New Braunfels: three seats available
Some boards and commissions have different eligibility requirements, so each application will be reviewed to ensure those are met. Those appointed to serve on a board or commission will then be required to complete one hour of training on the Texas Open Meetings Act, according to the city.
For a detailed description of each committee, including potential eligibility requirements, visit www.newbraunfels.gov/boards. To apply to a committee, visit www.newbraunfels.gov/apply.