Husband and wife Mike and Destin Singleton said the restaurant’s laid-back ambiance was one of the biggest reasons they purchased it in December 2020.
“My vision is to have a place where friends can come together,” Mike said, before going on to note the variety of menu options. “One person can have a chicken bacon sandwich and the other person can have a vegan sandwich.”
The Singletons said they considered franchising a chain restaurant before they settled on purchasing Naturally Cafe. In fact, they were near closing a deal, but instead chose a business where they would be comfortable working throughout the day and where their two daughters might enjoy working when older.
Naturally Cafe’s previous owners opened the business nearly a decade ago, and the Singletons said they plan to keep all of the popular items but may add more vegan items in the future.
The biggest changes of the new ownership are a beer and wine license and a new Saturday brunch offering expected to begin sometime in July.
In addition to gluten-free baked goods, Destin said the menu includes items catering to a variety of diets, such as a crustless quiche for people on keto diets.
Popular drinks ($6.50-$8.50) include the Perfect Purple smoothie made with blueberries, pineapple, banana and coconut milk; and the Parrot Juice with carrot, pineapple, oranges, celery and ginger juices.
Menu favorites such as the Undercover Club ($8.99) and the Xochitl salad ($5.50 half-$8.95 full) can be purchased as a single dish or together with half portions ($9.50).
Dishes are generally made from scratch, as are spreads, sauces and dressings.
“They’re making the chipotle mayo from oil and eggs and lime juice, and they make the dressings out of real, fresh herbs,” Mike said.
Soup is also made in house, but bread is one of the rare ingredients purchased, Mike said.
“We’ve actually experimented with many different types of bread, and the one they settled on years ago is just too good,” he said. “The sandwiches are grilled on a panini press and served warm, and that bread grills up so perfectly.”
- 2302 Gruene Lake Drive, New Braunfels
- 830-214-6300 | www.naturallynb.com
- Hours: Mon.-Fri. 10 a.m.-3 p.m., closed Sat.-Sun.
Variety of dishes
Naturally Cafe offers a variety of dishes to suit many dietary needs.
- Parrot Juice is made from juiced carrot, pineapple, oranges, celery and ginger. ($6.50-$8.50)
- Perfect Purple is made with blueberries, pineapple, banana and coconut milk. ($6.50-$8.50)
- The Undercover Club is ham, turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and raspberry-chipotle spread and mayo on eight grain bread. ($8.99)
- Xochitl salad is made with mixed greens, apple, avocado, goat cheese, pecans and house salad dressing. ($5.50 half-$8.95 full)