If approved, the rezoning request would allow a resort to be constructed on the property with cottages, cabins, condos, RVs and commercial parking. Supporting structures would include a bathhouse, a maintenance building and other amenities.
According to the proposal, quiet hours for those using the property would take place between 10 p.m.-6 a.m., and a heavy vegetation buffer would be between neighboring residential lots. Additionally, all construction would meet or exceed the city’s minimum standard for building in the floodplain.
New Braunfels city staff suggested eight conditions for the resort development, including no campfires, no outdoor activities between 9 p.m.-9 a.m. and a 50-foot building setback from Sleepy Hollow Lane. Additionally, a drainage easement is recommended on the property to contain the floodway.
According to Christopher Looney, planning and development services director for the city of New Braunfels, part of the rezoning process requires owners of property within 200 feet to be notified of the proposed changes. If 20% of the surrounding property owners oppose the rezoning request, the state of Texas requires a supermajority vote by the City Council.
“We received three responses in favor and 13 in opposition, so opposition does represent more than 20% of the property within 200 feet,” Looney said. “So it would require a supermajority to pass first reading tonight.”
Several residents who live within 200 feet of the proposed property attended and spoke both in support and opposition to the vote being postponed at the City Council meeting.
“Our comprehensive plan recognizes the tourist nature of this area and includes actions to ensure the continued balanced health of both the tourism industry as well as surrounding neighborhoods without impacting the safety of our residents,” Looney said.
Schumann Consulting Executive Director TJ Grossi is representing the owner of the proposed resort and asked the City Council to postpone the agenda item. Grossi said they would like more time to review the drainage easement and work on development standards.
“We did not want to bring just generic language that would be hard for staff to review during the development process, and we would just ask for two weeks postponement to the next City Council meeting,” Grossi said.
New Braunfels Mayor Rusty Brockman said the resort would be a good investment for the city if a compromise can be reached.
“This is an investment in not only money and time, but it's also an investment in your neighbors, and so I think it's extremely important. ... If we can make it a win-win it's a good thing for everybody,” Brockman said. “But if it doesn't work that way, then obviously the seven of us have a decision to make in two weeks."
Council voted unanimously to approve the postponement of the rezoning request until their next meeting, which will take place on Aug. 8 at 6 p.m.