Austin ISD giving free lunch, breakfast to all students for 2021-22 school year

All Austin public school students, including those learning virtually, will have access to free lunches through June 2022. (Courtesy Austin ISD)

Thanks to a temporary federal allowance, Austin ISD announced all students, regardless of household income, will receive free lunch and breakfast through the 2021-22 school year.

Virtual students will also have access to free meals, the news release stated.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced April 20 that it would expand its National School Lunch Program Seamless Summer Option through June 30, 2022.

According to the release, parents do not need to submit financial eligibility for the free lunch and breakfast program for the 2021-22 school year, but the requirement will resume for the 2022-23 school year.

AISD will continue collecting income verification to keep up with demographic data needed for schools to qualify for various other types of funding, and the release states families may submit income verification on the AISD website's Parent Portal feature during online enrollment or through a paper form provided by their child's campus.

Because AISD receives federal reimbursement for each meal served to students, rather than a block of funding, the more meals it serves the more funding the district has to invest in higher quality foods, local cooks and food suppliers, the release stated.

Daily menus, nutritional information and allergen information are available online at www.schoolcafe.com, according to the release.
By Maggie Quinlan

Reporter, Southwest Austin/Dripping Springs

Maggie joined Community Impact Newspaper as a reporter in July 2021 after a year spent covering crime, courts and politics at The Spokesman-Review in Spokane, Washington, near the border with Idaho. In Southwest Austin and Dripping Springs, Maggie covers education, business, healthcare, transportation, real estate development and nonprofits. Prior to CI, she graduated from Washington State University, where she was managing editor of the student newspaper and a section editor at her hometown newspaper based in Moscow, Idaho. Maggie dreamed of living in the Austin area for years and feels honored to serve the communities of Southwest Austin and Dripping Springs.

Redistricting is one of the items on the Texas Legislature's third special session, and the state Senate released proposed maps on Sept. 18. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Texas Senate releases proposed redistricting maps as special session begins

Redistricting is one of the items on the third special session, and the state Senate released proposed maps on Sept. 18.

Photo of the Travis County sign
Travis County approves fiscal year 2021-22 tax rate

The newly approved rate, paired with higher home appraisal rates, will result in an increase in taxes for many homeowners.

Williamson County Court House
Williamson County approves nonprofit funding, and other notes from Commissioners Court

Commissioners approved public funding for local nonprofits, including funding for the Williamson Museum.

Information from the city of Pflugerville states the closure is due to Phase 1 of a transportation project intended to complete an extension of Plfuger Farm Lane. (Courtesy city of Pflugerville)
Construction to close intersection at Town Center Drive and Pfluger Farm lane in Pflugerville

The $3 million project is funded by developer Lifestyle Communities. It will include adding a roundabout at Pfluger Farm Lane and Town Center Drive, and it will extend Pfluger Farm to the north.

Courtesy Baylor Scott & White
New Baylor Scott & White clinic now open on Eagles Nest Street in Round Rock

The facility is a dedicated hepatology clinic for the Greater Austin region.

August home sales in Leander decreased 28.8% from Aug. 2020. (Taylor Girtman/Community Impact Newspaper)
Home sales increased in Cedar Park, slowed in Leander in August compared to 2020 data

August home sales in Leander decreased 29% from August 2020. In Cedar Park, sales increased 21% last month.

The Austin-based juice, smoothie and coffee chain was founded in 2011 by Matt Shook and has since expanded to 33 locations and counting in Dallas, Austin and Houston. (Courtesy Juiceland)
JuiceLand coming to Round Rock in November

Round Rock will be gaining its own Juiceland location in November, located in La Frontera Village.

Photo of people attending ACL Fest
City of Austin approves ACL health and safety plan, holds off on final permit

Austin Public Health gave ACL the go-ahead to allow proof of vaccination in lieu of a negative COVID-19 test, but asked organizers to require masking in some areas.

Hundreds of complaints were logged against the Austin Police Department last year related to protests against police brutality and systemic racism. (Christopher Neely/Community Impact Newspaper)
Police oversight office challenges APD handling of most 2020 protest complaints

Austin's Office of Police Oversight objected to several aspects of the police department's approach to classifying and investigating protest-related grievances.

Fairways of Blackhawk is a community in Pflugerville home to 476 single-family units. (Carson Ganong/Community Impact)
Fairways of Blackhawk under new management by Associa Hill Country

Property management company Associa Hill Country has been selected to manage Fairways of Blackhawk in partnership with the community’s board of directors.

Q2 Stadium at night
Mixed-use development Verde Square to bring hotel, office space to site next to Q2 Stadium

Verde Square, a mixed-use development, is expected to break ground on construction by the end of 2022.

Georgetown Independent School District voted to approve virtual learning for its students on Sept. 20. (Adobe Stock)
Georgetown ISD moves toward remote learning option

Georgetown ISD approves virtual learning option