Tyler Scrivens smiled as he accepted a certificate July 29 for earning his electrician apprenticeship license through Career Life Ministry, which is a partner agency of the Twin Lakes Fellowship’s Christian Resource Center.
The 19-year-old’s next step was to find a car, but he received a surprise when Career Life Ministry provided him with a vehicle.
“I did not have an idea [that was coming],” Scrivens said.
He was one of nine this semester to earn an electrician or plumbing license from CLM’s 16-week trade skills class. CLM is one of 11 ministry organizations that form the Christian Resource Center, which helps serve the needs of residents in the community.
The CRC launched in 2015, and nine of the organizations are housed at the Twin Lakes campus on South Bell Boulevard in Cedar Park. Its partner ministries aim to help struggling families and individuals by providing needs such as food, clothing and household items, work-readiness classes and trades training, transitional housing, counseling and mentoring.
Scrivens’ accomplishment is an example of what the CRC hopes to accomplish, CRC founder Chris Rowley said. Scrivens’ mother volunteers with the CRC’s food and clothing pantry, and Schrivens’ new car was a gift from the CARS garage, the CRC-affiliated development program designed to teach car repair.
“There’s just so many needs in the family, and research has shown the more touches you can have in a family’s life, the more impact you can make and the quicker they can break out of whatever negative cycle they’re in,” Rowley said.
Area agencies that make up the Christian Resource Center:
• Austin and Agape Pregnancy Resource Centers
• CARS—automotive trade skills
• Career Life Ministry—trade skills classes
• Christian Compassion Center —redistributes building materials
• Christian Family Counseling Service
• Life Bridge Job Corps—job and life skill training
• Nineveh—mentoring for juveniles
• Reveal Resource Center—food pantry and clothes closet
• Twin Lakes Community Garden
• Faith Home Restoration Inc.—Christian transitional home for women
• Job Seekers Network—job search assistance
Christian Resource Center
1150 S. Bell Blvd.