Georgetown ISD has started working on 2018 bond projects with new athletic fields already installed.
During a meeting Jan. 22, David Biesheuvel, executive director of facilities and construction for the district, informed the board East View High School received new football and softball fields over winter break that are currently in use.
Biesheuvel added Benold, Tippit and Forbes middle schools will have turf installed, and Benold and Tippit will receive new all-weather tracks by March.
In addition, Georgetown High School will receive new baseball bleachers and turf over the summer after the season. The field is expected to be ready by January 2020, Biesheuvel said.
Biesheuvel also informed the board two new elementary schools—Wolf Ranch and Everette “Pop” Williams elementary schools—are designed and in the review process. Barlett Cocke General Contractors will be the manager at risk for the two school projects with construction beginning in May and an expected completion of July 2020, Biesheuvel said.
“Both schools were designed at the same time, and construction will go on at the same time,” Biesheuvel said.
The board also approved Braun and Butler Construction to work as manager at risk for other various planned 2018 bond projects. The projects and timelines are:
- Replace roof at Benold Middle School, Georgetown High School Annex, Georgetown High School gym and the Tech and Nutrition Service Center. April 2019-August 2019
- Replace heating and air conditioning at Benold Middle School, Frost Elementary School, the Georgetown High School Annex and in select areas of Georgetown High School. April 2019-August 2019
- Various safety and security projects including installing fencing, access control and security cameras at various campuses. Estimated completion by fall 2019
- Construct classroom additions at Ford Elementary School. Sept. 2019-August 2020
- Construct an enclosed corridor at Georgetown High School. Sept. 2019-January 2020
- Construct wrestling room addition at East view High School. Aug. 2019-January 2020
- Modify classrooms for flex learning at East View High and Forbes Middle school. May 2020-August 2020
- Renovations and addition to Tippit Middle School gym. May 2020-August 2020
- Design future middle school and Career and Technical Education center. Begin design April 2020
In November, Georgetown ISD voters approved a $150.5 million bond package with the construction of the two elementary schools as the most expensive items.
In other business:
- Biesheuvel also informed the board the final 2015 bond project to upgrade Tippit Middle School, 1601 Leander Road, Georgetown, has been completed. The school received upgraded classrooms, collaborative learning dens and new technology. A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be held at the school at 9:30 a.m. on Jan. 25.
- The board of trustees was recognized for School Board Recognition Month. The seven-member board governs district policies and regulations and is responsible for hiring the district’s superintendent as well as approving the district’s budget. “We appreciate you guys tremendously,” GISD Superintendent Fred Brent said. “You’ve given your time to kiddos and our schools and to our community.”
- The board also called a school board election for May 4. Places 1, 2 and 3 are up for reelection. School board members serve three-year terms. The filing deadline is Feb. 15. Completed applications can be submitted to the Hammerlun Center for Leadership and Learning at 507 E. University Ave., Georgetown.