During the recent 86th Texas Legislature, lawmakers voted to end mobile voting locations, which previously accounted for five to 18 additional location sites in Williamson County, depending on the election. Of those, one was turned into a permanent early voting location in Liberty Hill, which the court voted to move from Hutto due to frequency of use during early voting.
The exact location of the Liberty Hill voting location has yet to be determined, Williamson County Elections Administrator Chris Davis said.
Mobile early voting locations used to be placed in various locations throughout the county for a day or two during the early voting period and allowed voters to cast ballots without having to make a far commute. Those former mobile voting locations may be permanent election day voting locations if the court approves, Davis said.
Some mobile early voting locations removed include one that was stationed at Southwestern University and another in Jarrell.
“Consistency should be a goal. It is something legislatures tried to aim for and in my opinion failed,” Davis said.
Making the former mobile voting locations permanent locations would cost the county—in collaboration with the cities they are located in—$10,000, Davis said.
County Judge Bill Gravell said he is disappointed in the way state legislators handled the situation.
“I’m disappointed for those who have worked so hard to do the right thing and for this to be limited by folks in Austin,” Gravell said.
Early voting will run from Oct. 21-Nov. 1 with the exception of Sunday, Oct. 27.
The early voting locations are as follows, with the exception of the Liberty Hill location, which has yet to be determined:
- Anderson Mill Limited District, 11500 El Salido Parkway, Austin
- Cedar Park Public Library, 550 Discovery Blvd., Cedar Park
- Cedar Park Randalls, 1400 Cypress Creek Road, Cedar Park
- Cowan Creek Amenity Center, 1433 Cool Spring Way, Georgetown
- Georgetown ISD Technology Building, 603 Lakeway Drive, Georgetown
- Parks and Recreation Administration Building, 1101 N. College St., Georgetown
- Williamson County Inner Loop Annex, 301 S.E. Inner Loop, Georgetown
- Pat Bryson Municipal Hall, 201 N. Brushy St., Leander
- Baca Senior Center, 301 W. Bagdad St., Bldg. 2, Round Rock
- Brushy Creek Community Center, 16318 Great Oaks Drive, Round Rock
- Round Rock Randalls, 2051 Gattis School Road, Round Rock
- Williamson County Jester Annex, 1801 E. Old Settlers Blvd., Round Rock
- Taylor City Hall, 400 Porter St., Taylor