Schedule planned for developing Georgetown’s FY 2020-21 budget

The future of GoGEO and public transportation in the city is one of many topics that will be reviewed and discussed as part of fiscal year 2020-21 budget planning. (Sally Grace Holtgrieve/Community Impact Newspaper)

Fiscal year 2020-21 budget development is already in discussion.

A timeline was presented to City Council at the Jan. 25 workshop by Budget Manager Paul Diaz.

Fiscal year 2020-21 proposed budget calendar:

March 2 – Capital improvement projects kickoff

March 23 – Base budget/request kickoff

April 6 – Capital improvement projects coordination meeting

April 17 – Base budgets are due

May 5 – Departmental meetings with the city manager

May/June – Capital improvement projects review and special topics presentations with council

July 21 and July 22 – Budget workshops

Aug. 11 – City manager’s proposed budget; set max tax rate and set dates for public hearings

Sept. 9 – Public hearings, first reading of the budget, first reading of the tax rate

Sept. 22 – Second reading of the budget, second reading of the tax rate

The fiscal year 2019-20 and other past budgets can be found here.

By Sally Grace Holtgrieve
Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019.

The Williamson County and Cities Health District confirmed 37 additional coronavirus cases July 10, bringing the total to 3,654. (Community Impact Staff)
37 new cases of coronavirus, 1 death confirmed in Williamson County on July 10

Currently, 103 patients are hospitalized, 32 are in intensive care and 16 are on a ventilator.

The species that tested positive for West Nile Virus is Culex quinquefasciatus, or the southern house mosquito. This species has a flight range of about one mile. ​(Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile Virus near southwest Williamson County Regional Park

There have been no reported human cases of West Nile Virus in Williamson County since 2017.

Williamson County sees 844 new coronavirus cases this week

Between July 4 and July 10, Williamson County also reported 9 additional deaths.

Texas Commissioner of Education Mike Morath announced in a June 30 State Board of Education meeting that students will be taking the STAAR in the 2020-21 school year. (Courtesy Pixabay)
Education organizations call for STAAR requirements to be waived another year

Gov. Greg Abbott waived the State of Texas Assessments of Academic Readiness, or STAAR, testing requirements in March of earlier this year in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

With a clinical background in internal, pulmonary and critical care medicine, Corry has been with BCM for 20 years. He now focuses primarily on inflammatory lung diseases, such as asthma and smoking-related chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases. (Graphic by Ronald Winters/Community Impact Newspaper)
Q&A: Baylor College of Medicine's Dr. David Corry discusses immunity, vaccine production amid COVID-19 pandemic

Rapid development and distribution of a vaccine worldwide and successful achievement of herd immunity will be key players in determining the lifespan of the COVID-19 pandemic, said Dr. David Corry, a professor of Medicine in the Immunology, Allergy and Rheumatology Section at Baylor College of Medicine.

The new partnership will provide on-site, same-day testing and results for assisted-living facility staff and their residents. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
State announces partnership for increased COVID-19 testing for patients, staff at assisted-living facilities, nursing homes

These test sites will help the state work toward the goal of processing up to 100,000 tests in the first month.

USA FIT Georgetown is now open for registration. (Courtesy USA FIT)
National marathon training organization launches Georgetown chapter, invites all fitness levels to join

There are also educational seminars on important training; nutritional and racing information; informative newsletters; and social group events, such as after-training breakfasts, happy hours and more.

Former Cedar Park Police Department Chief Sean Mannix is pictured in this 2015 file photo. (Community Impact Newspaper file photo)
Cedar Park police chief moves to Burnet, driver's license offices reopen: Most popular news this week from Central Texas

Read the most popular Central Texas news from the past week on Community Impact Newspaper's website.

Williamson County reported 175 additional cases of coronavirus July 9. (Screenshot courtesy Williamson County)
175 cases of coronavirus, 2 deaths confirmed in Williamson County on July 9

The Williamosn County and Cities Health District reported 23% of hospital beds and 9% of ICU beds are available.

Effective July 9, hospitals in more than 100 counties across the state must now postpone elective surgeries unrelated to COVID-19. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
MAP: Governor expands restrictions on elective surgeries to more than 100 Texas counties

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott expanded the restrictions that initially required only hospitals in Bexar, Dallas, Harris, and Travis counties to postpone all non-medically necessary surgeries and procedures that are unrelated to COVID-19.

Reported coronavirus cases jumped nearly 400% over the past month in Williamson County. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Reported coronavirus cases jump nearly 400% over past month in Williamson County

Coronavirus-related deaths and hospitalizations also saw the largest increase in the past 30 days.