Schedule planned for developing Georgetown’s FY 2020-21 budget

The future of GoGEO and public transportation in the city is one of many topics that will be reviewed and discussed as part of fiscal year 2020-21 budget planning. (Sally Grace Holtgrieve/Community Impact Newspaper)

Fiscal year 2020-21 budget development is already in discussion.

A timeline was presented to City Council at the Jan. 25 workshop by Budget Manager Paul Diaz.

Fiscal year 2020-21 proposed budget calendar:

March 2 – Capital improvement projects kickoff

March 23 – Base budget/request kickoff

April 6 – Capital improvement projects coordination meeting

April 17 – Base budgets are due

May 5 – Departmental meetings with the city manager

May/June – Capital improvement projects review and special topics presentations with council

July 21 and July 22 – Budget workshops

Aug. 11 – City manager’s proposed budget; set max tax rate and set dates for public hearings

Sept. 9 – Public hearings, first reading of the budget, first reading of the tax rate

Sept. 22 – Second reading of the budget, second reading of the tax rate

The fiscal year 2019-20 and other past budgets can be found here.

SHARE THIS STORY
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve

Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019.

(Graphic illustration courtesy Jay Jones/Community Impact Newspaper)
‘We’ve got this’: Central Texas librarians step up to help their communities amid coronavirus pandemic

The example in Bee Cave appears to be just one of many stories relating how, amid the COVID-19 crisis, librarians are helping their communities throughout the Greater Austin area.

Economic relief options for small business owners include the Small Business Administration's Economic Injury Disaster Loan. (Community Impact Newspaper Staff)
Has your Austin-area small business been affected by the coronavirus? Here are resources you can access.

The U.S. Small Business Administration is offering a short-term loan program intended to help cover payroll and a separate, long-term loan program intended to help business owners stay afloat.

A recent string of incidents where Zoom meetings have been “hacked” has put the future viability of teleconferencing security in doubt. (Courtesy Pixabay)
String of racist attacks via videoconferencing software leads to heightened security concerns

A recent string of incidents where Zoom meetings have been “hacked” has put the future viability of teleconferencing security in doubt.

Austin and Travis County's orders went into place March 25 and require residents to stay home for everything but essential travel. (Christopher Neely/Community Impact Newspaper)
5 recent coronavirus stories from the Austin area readers should know

Read local updates on the coronavirus pandemic.

On April 6, Georgetown ISD will shift its optional learning model to teacher-designed online learning. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Georgetown ISD moves to graded schoolwork as distance learning continues

On April 6, Georgetown ISD will shift its optional learning model to teacher-designed online learning.

Friday's digital telethon will help Austin metro residents through nonprofits during the coronavirus pandemic.
Donations to All Together ATX will help local residents through grants to nonprofits

Friday's digital telethon seeks donations to help the community

Matt Silk, left, delivers food from Modern Market Eatery to a St. Davids Medical Center health care worker. (Courtesy Matt Silk)
Rollingwood resident creates program to help businesses and feed health care workers

Matt Silk said www.atxhospitalmeals.com serves two purposes: It helps struggling restaurants by purchasing food in bulk, and feeds dozens of health care workers with each purchase.

April is National Child Abuse Awareness and Prevention Month. (Community Impact Staff)
Experts fear child abuse will rise as stressors related to coronavirus pandemic increase

April is National Child Abuse Awareness and Prevention Month.

Teams work at the Williamson County emergency services facility during the coronavirus pandemic. (Courtesy Williamson County)
Williamson County calls veterans to ensure they are OK during coronavirus pandemic

“We're going to reach out to every veteran [in Williamson County] that's ever served our nation if they’ll take our call," Williamson County Judge Bill Gravell said.

Williamson County Judge Bill Gravell gave an update on the county's fight against coronavirus April 2. (Snapshot Courtesy Williamson County)
Williamson County Judge Bill Gravell: 'Our resources as a county are limited'

Williamson County Judge Bill Gravell gave an update on the county's fight against coronavirus April 2.

An additional Chromebook distribution day can be added next week, if needed. (Courtesy Round Rock ISD)
5 recent education stories from the Austin area readers should know

Read updates on how local school districts and colleges are reacting in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.