TCEQ announces public hearing dates for Edwards Aquifer Protection Program

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality will conduct public hearings Oct. 22 and 23 to receive comments from the public on actions the commission should take to protect the Edwards Aquifer from pollution.

According to a press release, the annual public hearings for the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program assist the commission in its shared responsibility with local governments, such as cities and groundwater conservation districts, to protect the water quality of the aquifer.

The TCEQ will receive all comments during annual public hearings related to the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program, and the press release said it is specifically seeking feedback on:

–Recent changes made to Edwards Aquifer Protection Program processes and application reviews
–Public participation and public notice related to plan reviews
–Regulation of aggregate production operations located over the Edwards Aquifer
–Compliance monitoring of plan-related best management practices following installation

The hearings will be held Monday, Oct. 22 at 1:30 p.m. at the TCEQ Park 35 Office Complex, 12100 Park 35 Circle, Building E, Room 201S, Austin, and Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 2:00 p.m. at the Tesoro Building, Alamo Area Council of Governments, Al J. Notzon III Board Room, 8700 Tesoro Drive, Ste. 100, San Antonio.

The hearings will be structured for the receipt of oral or written comments from the public, the release said. Individuals may present oral statements when called upon.

There will be no open discussion during the hearings, however agency staff members will be available to answer questions 30 minutes prior to and 30 minutes after the conclusion of the hearing. Registration will begin 30 minutes before the hearing.

Written comments should reference the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program and may be sent to Anne Ruthstrom, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, Program Support Section, MC 174, P.O. Box 13087, Austin, Texas 78711-3087 or e-mailed to anne.ruthstrom@tceq.texas.gov. Comments must be received by 5:00 p.m., Oct. 23.
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve
Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019.

The University of Texas will host football games at Darrell K. Royal Veterans Memorial Stadium this fall after an announcement from the Big 12 Conference on Aug. 12 that the fall sports season will continue. (Jack Flagler/Community Impact Newspaper)
After Big Ten and PAC-12 cancel, Big 12 announces fall sports season will roll on

The conference football season will begin Sept. 26, and fan capacity in stadiums will be up to each of the 10 member universities, according to the Big 12.

New Braunfels City Council approved a jump in acreage of its Reinvestment Zone Number One during its Aug. 10 meeting. (Screen shot courtesy city of New Braunfels)
Planned fire station, training facilities to be moved to larger land parcel within New Braunfels

A planned fire station and training facility in New Braunfels is en route to be moved to another location after officials established a roughly 35-acre tract that has been deemed a more suitable location.

New Braunfels City Council met Aug. 10 and approved a grant for $85,000 to help create and retain 40 jobs in the city. (Screen shot courtesy city of New Braunfels)
New Braunfels officials greenlight program to create, retain 40 full-time jobs

A program approved by New Braunfels City Council will offer an $85,000 investment to provide financial incentives to United Training Center LLC.

Courtesy Resolute Health Hospital
Resolute Health Hospital in New Braunfels to expand visitation allowances

Patients at Resolute Health Hospital, located at 555 Creekside Crossing, New Braunfels, are now allowed one visitor due to an adjusted visitation policy that went in place Aug. 11.

The office of public health will extend its hours through lunch to provide adults and children with vaccines ahead of the 2020-21 school year. (Courtesy Fotolia)
Comal County Office of Public Health to offer back-to-school vaccines

Eligible adults and children can receive low- or no-cost immunizations through the office of public health.

Retailer Harbor Freight Tools will open a Georgetown location Aug. 11. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Harbor Freight Tools coming to Georgetown and more Central Texas news

Read the latest Central Texas business and community news.

Here is the Comal County COVID-19 case update for Aug. 10. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Two new COVID-19-related deaths reported in Comal County

Two New Braunfels residents died Aug. 6 due to COVID-19, according to an Aug. 10 press release from Comal County.

Courtesy Lone Star Bath Treats
Lone Star Bath Treats expands to brick-and-mortar location in New Braunfels

Lone Star Bath Treats, located at 2090 N. I-35, Ste. 4111, New Braunfels, had its grand opening July 29.

Comal and New Braunfels ISDs to begin 2020-21 school year with in-person and remote learning

Students will be able to participate in remote or in-person instruction and can change their preference at the end of each nine-week period.

Comal and Guadalupe counties approve discretionary tax increase measures

Commissioner courts in both counties approved measures that would allow up to an 8% increase of property taxes, but doubted such a hike would be necessary.

To the moon and back: New Braunfels resident and astronaut is Texan of the Year

Brig. Gen. Charles Duke’s career at NASA spanned over 10 years. He was involved in five Apollo missions from 1966-72.