TCEQ announces public hearing dates for Edwards Aquifer Protection Program

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality will conduct public hearings Oct. 22 and 23 to receive comments from the public on actions the commission should take to protect the Edwards Aquifer from pollution.

According to a press release, the annual public hearings for the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program assist the commission in its shared responsibility with local governments, such as cities and groundwater conservation districts, to protect the water quality of the aquifer.

The TCEQ will receive all comments during annual public hearings related to the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program, and the press release said it is specifically seeking feedback on:

–Recent changes made to Edwards Aquifer Protection Program processes and application reviews
–Public participation and public notice related to plan reviews
–Regulation of aggregate production operations located over the Edwards Aquifer
–Compliance monitoring of plan-related best management practices following installation

The hearings will be held Monday, Oct. 22 at 1:30 p.m. at the TCEQ Park 35 Office Complex, 12100 Park 35 Circle, Building E, Room 201S, Austin, and Tuesday, Oct. 23 at 2:00 p.m. at the Tesoro Building, Alamo Area Council of Governments, Al J. Notzon III Board Room, 8700 Tesoro Drive, Ste. 100, San Antonio.

The hearings will be structured for the receipt of oral or written comments from the public, the release said. Individuals may present oral statements when called upon.

There will be no open discussion during the hearings, however agency staff members will be available to answer questions 30 minutes prior to and 30 minutes after the conclusion of the hearing. Registration will begin 30 minutes before the hearing.

Written comments should reference the Edwards Aquifer Protection Program and may be sent to Anne Ruthstrom, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, Program Support Section, MC 174, P.O. Box 13087, Austin, Texas 78711-3087 or e-mailed to anne.ruthstrom@tceq.texas.gov. Comments must be received by 5:00 p.m., Oct. 23.
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve

Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019.

Yesenia and Antonio Morales welcomed their fourth child, Luka, on March 31. (Christopher Neely/Community Impact Newspaper)
Pregnancies won't stop in a pandemic, but growing precautions leave expecting mothers uncertain and anxious

As the coronavirus tightens its grip on Austin and much of the world, inevitable human events such as pregnancy and childbirth are having to adapt in the new, cautious and socially distanced reality.

April is National Child Abuse Awareness Month. (Community Impact Staff)
Experts fear increase in child abuse and decline in mental health as coronavirus pandemic persists

Social distancing could cause instances of child abuse to rise while children are no longer in regular contact with adults who normally report abuse.

Coronavirus stories readers might have missed from the Austin area

Here are nine stories Austin-area readers might have missed in our previous coverage.

Gregory Fenves will step down as the president of the University of Texas on June 30, according to a letter he wrote April 7 to the UT community. (Community Impact Newspaper staff)
University of Texas President Gregory Fenves to leave for Emory University in Atlanta

University of Texas at Austin President Greg Fenves announced in a letter to the UT community that he will leave the state’s flagship college for Emory University.

Abbott's order closes all state parks and historical sites effective 5 p.m. April 7. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Gov. Abbott closes state parks, historical sites due to coronavirus concerns

Abbott said the closure is to help prevent large gatherings and strengthen social distancing.

VIDEO: Texas Tribune interview with Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar about the coronavirus's effects on the state economy

At 8 a.m. April 7, The Texas Tribune will host a live interview with Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar, conducted by Texas Tribune Executive Editor Ross Ramsey.

The Texas Workforce Commission's phone and online systems to accept applications for unemployment benefits have been overwhelmed by hundreds of thousands of Texans who are out of work and looking for assistance. (Design by Shelby Savage/Community Impact Newspaper)
With Texas Workforce Commission overwhelmed by surging unemployment claims, Central Texas residents try to hang on

The Texas Workforce Commission received 1.7 million calls from individuals seeking assistance with unemployment benefits in a 24-hour period on March 26.

(Community Impact Newspaper staff)
Survey finds Texas brewers losing more than 70% of revenue because of coronavirus

Brewers across the state are renewing calls for Gov. Greg Abbott to grant temporary waivers for shipping, delivery and tax relief.

(Brian Perdue/Community Impact Newspaper)
April 6: 8 coronavirus stories Austin-area readers need to know

Catch up on some of the latest coronavirus updates for the Austin metro below.

Comal County has announced its 22nd case of COVID-19. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Comal County announces 22nd case of COVID-19

Nine of the 22 cases are located in the New Braunfels area.

For three days in a row, three new cases of COVID-19 have been reported to Comal County. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Three more coronavirus patients in Comal, two are community spread

Patients are from New Braunfels, Canyon Lake and Smithson Valley. One is hospitalized.