Army Futures Command wants problems for soldiers to be solved at Texas university campuses

Gen. John M. Murray speaks to reporters on Oct. 2 in a press conference at the Capitol Factory in Austin. He was joined by U.S. Senator John Cornyn, R-Texas (left) and Texas A&M University System Chancellor John Sharp.

A new $130 million combat development complex in at Texas A&M’s campus in Bryan will break ground Oct. 12

When leaders of the U.S. Army announced in July 2018 that Austin would be the home of the first new army command since 1973, they cited the potential to collaborate with local universities as a significant factor leading to the choice of Austin as the home for Army Futures Command.

Just over a year after announcing its creation in Austin, Army Futures Command has grown to what it calls “full operational capacity,” staffing up its operations from an initial group of 12 personnel to 24,000 staff located around the world. As the command has grown, its university partnerships are beginning to take shape.

On Oct. 2 at the Capitol Factory in Austin, Army Futures Commander Gen. John M. Murray, U.S. Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, and John Sharp, chancellor of Texas A&M University System, announced a new $130 million combat development campus set to open in 2021 at the Texas A&M RELLIS campus in Bryan.

The RELLIS campus—named for Texas A&M’s six core values of respect, excellence, leadership, loyalty, integrity and selfless service—opened its first academic building in fall 2018 and in addition to the army facility will eventually include a data center, workforce education complex and Texas A&M Transportation Institute headquarters.

Sharp said the combat development campus will break ground on Oct. 12. Research priorities, he said, will focus on hypersonics and directed energy.

Hypersonic weapons, according to a September report from the Congressional Research Service, are weapons that fly at speeds at least five times the speed of sound. Directed energy weapons include laser and radio wave technology.

Katherine Banks, dean of the Texas A&M school of engineering, said a kilometer-long tunnel at the new combat development complex will allow the testing to take place.

“It will allow us to not only look at hypersonic conditions, but also directed energy under certain environmental conditions. You can’t do that in the smaller tunnels,” Banks said.

State lawmakers dedicated $50 million during the 86th Legislative Session for the construction of the new facility, and the Texas A&M System board of regents earmarked $80 million for the center.

According to a news release from Texas A&M, the center will also include “laboratories, runways, underground and open-air battlefield and a resilient network of sensors and systems for data collection, analysis and storage.”

UT to research robotics

Meanwhile, the University of Texas is in the process of developing two new facilities in partnership with Army Futures Command. The Anna Hiss Gymnasium, built in 1931 as a women’s gym, will become a robotics research center where, UT said in a May news release, students and faculty members will work alongside Army personnel.

Murray said on Oct. 2 he expects the ribbon cutting at the facility to take place in April 2020, and he hopes the work in robotics can help make soldiers safer when operations are breached.

“There’s certain places on a battlefield I believe we should never, ever, ever send a soldier again, and that would be the most dangerous of places, so what I’ve asked them is to completely automate that operation. There’s all kinds of challenges that go with that,” Murray said.

The other facility on UT’s campus will be located at the J.J. Pickle Research Campus in North Austin, where UT’s Center for Electromechanics is located. In addition to the study of robotics, Murray said the partnership with UT will focus on power storage and position navigation.

“When GPS goes away, deliberately or accidentally, what’s the signal we can use to provide the precision of navigation and the timing?” Murray said.

Army Futures Command is also working with Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, where the focus is on artificial intelligence work.

Cornyn said the work at Texas A&M will help the U.S. Army remain the strongest country in the world and deter any enemy threats, echoing former U.S. President Ronald Reagan’s phrase of “peace of strength.”

“We want to make sure our men and women in uniform have everything they need,” Cornyn said.
SHARE THIS STORY

A Clear Springs Academy childcare center is under construction near Avery Park in New Braunfels. (Ian Pribanic/Community Impact Newspaper)
Clear Springs Academy childcare center coming soon to New Braunfels

The child care academy will focus on children ages six weeks to 12 years old.

The deliveries of precast bridge caps for the San Antonio Street bridge project are expected to cause traffic delays in New Braunfels on Dec. 11-13. (Ian Pribanic/Community Impact Newspaper)
San Antonio Street bridge construction deliveries to cause delays in New Braunfels

Drivers can anticipate delays near downtown Dec. 11-13.

New Braunfels City Council and the New Braunfels Economic Development Corp. are working to bring an automotive plant to New Braunfels. (Courtesy Fotolia)
City Council approves economic package to help bring automotive plant to New Braunfels

The project is expected to create more than 500 jobs by 2031.

Michael Wehman, New Braunfels Assistant Fire Chief
New Braunfels Fire Department selects new assistant fire chief

Michael Wehman is a 28-year fire service veteran who most recently served as NBFD battalion chief.

Common winter allergies in Texas are caused by pollen from the Ashe juniper—also known as a mountain cedar. The tree is native to the area. (Nicholas Cicale/Community Impact Newspaper)
As pollen counts rise in Central Texas, learn about cedar fever and allergy prevention

As temperatures cool heading into the winter season in Central Texas, pollen counts from Ashe juniper trees begin to climb, causing seasonal allergies referred to locally by residents as “cedar fever.”

The deadline to file for the March 2020 primary in Comal and Guadalupe counties is Dec. 9. (Ian Pribanic/Community Impact Newspaper)
Comal County, Guadalupe County candidates meet Dec. 9 deadline to file for 2020 primary

A long list of candidates will be vying for elected positions in the 2020 election. The deadline to file for the March 3, 2020 primary election is Dec. 9.

The Comal County courthouse is lit up in downtown New Braunfels for the holiday season. (Ian Pribanic/Community Impact Newspaper)
Comal County announces holiday closures

Comal County residents should be aware that the holiday season may affect operation hours at various county offices. In observance of the Christmas and New Year's holidays, these Comal County offices will be closed or have adjusted hours:

A Subway restaurant is coming soon to The Shops at Clear Springs in New Braunfels.
Subway restaurant coming soon to The Shops at Clear Springs in New Braunfels

The restaurant will offer customizable submarine sandwiches and more.

Jeremy Alkire, a senior at New Braunfels High School, has been named a 2019 National Merit Commended Student. (Courtesy NBISD)
New Braunfels High School student named National Merit Commended Scholar

NBHS senior Jeremy Alkire is the only Unicorn to be honored in this year.

Local businesses submitted their wassail recipes for judging at the 2019 annual Wassailfest. (Courtesey Sidecar)
New Braunfels Wassail Meister winners announced

Keller Williams Heritage won first place in the 2019 competition.

The first ever Director of Safety and Security for New Braunfels ISD, Jay Huffty. (Courtesy New Braunfels ISD)
New Braunfels ISD hires first director of safety and security

Huffty previously worked as an administrator for San Marcos CISD.

new braunfels city hall front entrance
New Braunfels solid waste division to host bulky goods drop-off

The city’s solid waste and recycling division will accept residential customers' goods from 7-11 a.m. Dec. 7.

Back to top