Lakeway officials help move massive sports complex further toward completion

Council approved the rezoning of 100 total acres through two motions at the Jan. 22 City Council meeting.

Following a unanimous recommendation from Lakeway’s Zoning & Planning Commission earlier this month, Lakeway City Council approved the rezoning of 70 acres of property on Bee Creek Road for a massive sports complex that has been in the planning stages since 2017.

The rezoning of the acreage from agricultural to public park status constitutes another cleared hurdle for the $23.5 million Bee Creek Sports Complex, a marquee project within Travis County’s 2017 $185 million bond program.

Voters approved funding for the sports complex in November 2017, and the county has contracted Stantec Consulting Services Inc. to plan, design and engineer the complex.

The city of Lakeway, per a January 2018 interlocal agreement, is providing the 70-acre site at 4440 Bee Creek Road to the tune of $3.7 million approved by voters in a 2014 bond.

In conjunction with the 70-acre rezoning Jan. 22, council approved with a 5-2 vote a request to rezone 30 acres of adjacent land on 4528 Bee Creek Road owned by Lawrence Williams from agricultural to commercial—a decision also following a unanimous recommendation from the commission Jan. 9. Mayor Sandy Cox and Council Member Keith Trecker voted against the motion. 
SHARE THIS STORY
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve

Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019.

Attendees ask questions at the Feb. 20 TxDOT open house on the RM 620 widening project. (Photos by Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)
TxDOT holds final open house, hearing on lower RM 620 widening

Though funding is not fully secured for the roughly 9-mile stretch of RM 620 from Hwy. 71 to Hudson Bend Road slated to be widened in the coming years, project leaders are now more confident about key aspects of the project as it heads into the environmental finding phase.

State Sen. Kirk Watson announced his resignation from state government Feb. 18. A number of local politicians have expressed interest in the seat.
Who is interested in Kirk Watson’s Senate seat? Here is where local members of the state House stand

State Reps. Gina Hinojosa and Eddie Rodriguez say they are "seriously considering" a run for the District 14 seat.

The Lake Travis High School Cavalier Band performed at the district's homecoming parade Sept. 11. (Amy Rae Dadamo/Community Impact Newspaper)
New trailer approved for Lake Travis ISD band

The current trailer, which is approximately 10 years old, will be auctioned by the district.

Rollingwood Police Chief Jason Brady presents his report on officer retention to City Council on Feb. 19. (Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)
Rollingwood police chief to study recruitment, retention

The Rollingwood Police Department is budgeted for nine full-time officers. Right now the department is two officers shy of that number, amounting to a 22.22% vacancy rate.

The board of trustees voted to place 12.5 acres of land on the market during the Feb. 19 meeting. (Amy Rae Dadamo/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lake Travis ISD will place 12.5 acres of land on the market at 1701 Lohmans Crossing Road

The district voted to place a plot of land behind Lakeway Elementary School on the market Feb. 19.

K. Friese representative Joe Cantalupo addressed City Council on Feb. 19. (Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)
Engineering firm gives presentation of Rollingwood's Infrastructure Improvement Plan

A yearlong study on Rollingwood’s drainage and infrastructure needs has produced a final update from K. Friese & Associates.

LTISD Superintendent Brad Lancaster discusses a possible extension of Vail Divide at the Lake Travis Economic Forecast Luncheon on Jan. 16. (Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)
Lake Travis ISD moves forward with Vail Divide southern extension, drafting a contract with an engineering firm

The board of trustees reviewed the first draft of a contract with Malone Wheeler.

The city of Rollingwood voted Feb. 19 to ban the abandonment of motorized scooters within the city. (Community Impact Staff)
Rollingwood officially bans abandonment of motorized scooters in the city

After months of discussion on motorized scooters, Rollingwood City Council approved an ordinance banning the abandonment of motorized scooters.

Brian May, president of Vista Bank's Austin branch, addressed Rollingwood City Council on Feb. 19. (Brian Rash/Community Impact Newspaper)
Vista Bank denied request for zoning change needed to operate in Rollingwood

Vista Bank will not be adding a location in Rollingwood at this time, as votes in both the city’s Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council sealed its fate.

Johnny Hill discussed an agenda item regarding increased special education population growth during a Feb. 19 meeting. (Amy Rae Dadamo/Community Impact Newspaper)
Special education staff increases, sign-on bonuses approved by Lake Travis ISD

The board of trustees approved sign-on bonuses and the addition of three staff members within the specail education department

Robert Winovitch presented a change order request during a Feb. 19 board meeting. (Amy Rae Dadamo/Community Impact Newspaper)
Progress on Spillman Loop project discussed during Lake Travis ISD board meeting

Lake Travis ISD approved a change order request from Flintco for $723,000.

Back to top