Travelers using US 183 to get to the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport this holiday season can expect major roadwork and some closures along the roadway.
The Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority is about 30-35 percent complete with a $743 million transportation project on US 183 from Hwy. 290 to Hwy. 71. That project includes adding three tolled lanes and maintaining three nontolled lanes in each direction.
“As we head into the Christmas holiday this coming week, there may be times between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. where there may closures, especially at the Colorado River, and there may be detours in place,” said Steve Pustelnyk, director of community relations for the Mobility Authority.
Closures would be limited over the holiday weekend, but Pustelnyk said detours over the river would require drivers to exit at Bolm Road and loop around at the Airport Boulevard interchange to get back on US 183 South.
“There’s a significant amount of phased work occurring in the year ahead where we’ll be moving traffic onto new ramps and demolishing the old bridges and reconstructing that entire area,” Pustelnyk said.
Pustelnyk said crews are also working to try to lay new pavement before Christmas so southbound US 183 could be realigned between Hwy. 290 and Manor/Springdale Road. This would temporarily affect the ramp from westbound Hwy. 290 to southbound US 183. Those drivers would have to continue on the frontage road through the Springdale intersection before accessing the highway, he said.
Some work could also occur at the US 183 interchange with Hwy. 71. The Mobility Authority is rebuilding the bridges and drivers can expect some nighttime closures in the area over the holiday season.
Upcoming US 183 South closures
- Dec. 18-21 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., the US 183 southbound mainlanes will be reduced to one lane between Hudson Street and Bolm Road
- Dec. 18-22 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Manor/Springdale Road under US 183 will be reduced by one lane. In addition, one lane will be closed on the US 183 frontage roads in both directions between Hwy. 290 and Manor/Springdale Road.
- Dec. 18-22 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., westbound Manor/Springdale Road underneath US 183 will be closed. Detour by heading north on the frontage road to the U-turn at Hwy. 290. Eastbound Manor/Springdale Road underneath US 183 will be reduced to one lane.
- Dec. 19 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., US 183 at Vargas Road will be reduced to one lane. Officers will be directing traffic at the intersection.
- Dec. 19-21 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., northbound Airport Boulevard at the Colorado River will be reduced to one lane. The US 183 northbound mainlanes will also be reduced to one lane between Vargas Road and Bolm Road.
- Dec. 19-21 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., there will be alternating full closures of southbound US 183 at Hwy. 290. Detour by exiting southbound US 183 southbound to Manor Road and continue along the frontage road until the next onramp. Drivers should expect delays.
- Dec. 19-21 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., there will also be alternating closures of the exit from southbound US 183 to Manor Road. Detour by exiting early at Cameron Road and take the frontage road southbound. Drivers should expect delays.
- Dec. 20 from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., US 183 at Thompson Lane will be reduced to one lane. Officers will be directing traffic at the intersection.
- Dec. 27-28 from 10 p.m.-6 a.m., the southbound US 183 mainlanes will be closed at the Colorado River. Detour by exiting at Bolm Road and follow the detour signs to reach the Montopolis Drive bridge and access US 183 southbound. Expect Delays. If traveling to the airport for an early morning flight, officials recommend planning ahead.
- Dec. 27 from 8 p.m.-6 a.m. the Manor Road exit from southbound US 183 will be closed. All traffic will exit at Cameron Road and follow the southbound frontage road to Manor/Springdale Road. The entrance ramp to the southbound US 183 mainlanes from the frontage road near Cameron Road will be closed as needed.
- Dec. 27-28 from 8 p.m.-6 a.m. the southbound US 183 mainlanes will be closed from Hwy. 290 to Loyola Lane. All traffic will exit Manor Road and follow the southbound frontage road. The entrance ramp to the southbound US 183 mainlanes from the frontage road near Cameron Road will be closed as needed. This closure will not occur at the same time as the one above.
- Dec. 27-28 from 8 p.m. -6 a.m. northbound Airport Boulevard will be closed from Vargas Road to Bolm Road for construction on the bridge.
- Dec. 27-28 from 8 p.m. -6 a.m. eastbound Manor/Springdale Road will be closed from Susquehanna Lane to the northbound frontage road of US 183. In addition, westbound Manor/Springdale Road will be closed from Pecan Brook to the southbound frontage road of US 183. Northbound frontage road traffic will make a U-turn at Hwy. 290 and travel south on the US 183 frontage road to Manor Road. Southbound US 183 frontage road traffic will make a U-turn at Loyola Lane and travel the US 183 northbound mainlane to the Manor Road exit.