1. Barr Mansion, a wedding venue located at 10463 Sprinkle Road, Austin, started offering weekly picnics July 29. With weddings slow during the COVID-19 pandemic, the event venue is instead offering guests an opportunity to book time slots and order pizza, snacks, salads and drinks from the kitchen, which are ready upon arrival. 512-926-6907. www.barrmansion.com
2. Boys and Girls Clubs of the Austin Area, based at 6648 Ed Bluestein Blvd.,Austin, on July 5 launched 5K4 the Kids Challenge, a virtual fundraising event that invites supporters to run a 5K solo race, make a donation to BGCAA in increments of $5 and invite five friends on social media to join the challenge through Aug. 5. The nonprofit canceled all of its in-person events in 2020, including the Austin Duck Derby and its golf tournament. Proceeds from the 5K support summer camp tuition for kids and the Club on the Go program, which provides snacks, materials for activities and more for families. 512-640-6998. www.bgcaustin.org
3. The Brewer's Table, located at 4715 E. Fifth St., Austin, announced its closure as of July 9. "I'm a lucky man. I was afforded the rare opportunity to have a dream come true and I'm eternally grateful to so many people that have been a part of this journey with me," owner Jake Maddux wrote on Facebook. The restaurant and brewery opened in 2018.
4. Central Texas Pediatric Orthopedics, which has an East Austin location at 1301 Barbara Jordan Blvd., Ste. 300, is celebrating its 30th anniversary in September. Dr. Jay Shapiro founded the practice in 1990, and it has now grown to employ a team of more than 70 in a total of five locations—four in Austin and one in Cedar Park. 512-478-8116. www.ctpomd.com
5. Eden East announced July 27 it has moved its farm from its previous location at 755 Springdale Road, Austin, to Main Street in Bastrop. Storybuilt plans to develop the property into a mixed-use commercial and residential space. Eden East owner Sonya Cote, who also operates nearby restaurant Hillside Farmacy, plans to return the farm in 2022 to the original location when the development is finished. 512-428-6500. www.edeneastaustin.com
6. Sushi restaurant Fukumoto, 514 Medina St., Austin, is celebrating its five-year anniversary in September. Chef Kazu Fukumoto got his start at Austin sushi spot Musashino Sushi Dokoro before starting his own venture, which—in addition to sushi—specializes in yakitori, or skewered meat cooked over Japanese charcoal. Fukumoto is open for dine-in service Thursday through Saturday and takeout Monday through Saturday. 512-770-6880. www.fukumotoaustin.com