Starting this season, University of Texas sports fans will no longer be allowed to bring certain bags and purses into the university’s athletic venues.
In April the university announced it would institute a clear bag policy for its venues beginning Aug. 1. From now on, bags permitted inside sports venues include:
- clear plastic bags that do not exceed 12 inches by 6 inches by 12 inches;
- one-gallon clear plastic freezer bags; and
- small clutch bags or purses that do not have to be clear but cannot exceed 4.5 inches by 6.5 inches.
The following bags are no longer allowed inside the venues:
- printed pattern plastic bags
- fanny packs
- reusable grocery totes
- mesh or straw bags
- duffle bags
- large totes
- camera or binocular cases
- diaper bags
Fans will not be allowed to enter a venue with a non-conforming bag and will be asked to return the bag to their vehicle before entering. An exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at designated areas.
On its website, the athletic department said the policy was initiated to improve safety, speed up the security checkpoint process and reduce faulty bag searches.