During an Airport Advisory Commission meeting March 8, a preliminary report issued by the National Transportation Safety Board, or NTSB, and the Federal Aviation Administration regarding a runway incursion at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport on Feb. 4 was discussed.

The report was released March 2 regarding a regularly scheduled Southwest Airlines flight and FedEx cargo flight involved in a runway incursion and possible overflight, according to the NTSB. The investigation is still ongoing.

Airport Advisory Commission Chair Eugene Sepulveda expressed concern that the increase of traffic at the airport is affecting safety. 2022 marked ABIA’s busiest year on record, according to data released by airport officials Feb. 14.

“We need confirmation that the safety protocols and personnel and infrastructure have kept up with the increased flights coming in and out of Austin-Bergstrom,” Sepulveda said March 8. “I hope that Austin will work with the FAA to confirm that our increased traffic isn't diluting our safety protocols or the resources available for safety.”

The report, which is subject to change, found that at approximately 6:40 a.m. the FedEx flight was less than a mile from landing when simultaneously the Southwest flight began rolling to leave on the same runway.

According to the FedEx captain, his first officer called for a “go-around” after seeing the Southwest flight begin to approach the end of the runway. FedEx crew broadcasted “Southwest abort” and then “FedEx is on the go.”

“[Air traffic management] reported an overflight appeared to have occurred; however, the closest proximity had not yet been determined,” the report said.

No injuries or deaths occurred due to the incident, according to the NTSB.

“Safety is the No. 1 priority for all airports, and the Austin airport is no exception,” ABIA Chief Administration Officer Tracy Thompson said March 8. “Our airport airfield operations team and our executive staff leadership team are engaged in aggressively supporting the various federal agencies and expeditions in view of this incident and supporting them in every way.”

It can take up to a year for a final report to be issued from the federal agencies investigating the incident, Thompson said.