The city of Leander originally announced $75,000 in awarded business grants, but some applications were tentatively approved.
There were 16 businesses who received $60,000 in grants. There remains $148,000 for more grants. The next round of approvals will be May 7.
From restaurants to barbers to schools, 16 Leander businesses have been approved for the city's COVID-19 Emergency Grant Program.
The first recipients were approved during a special Leander City Council executive session April 21, according to a city release.
The program benefits small businesses affected financially by the coronavirus. The approved businesses will receive either $2,500 or $5,000 depending on their number of full-time workers.
These are the first approved businesses and the amount they will receive, according to the release.
- Center Stage ($2,500)
- Cherry Creek Catfish Co. ($5,000)
- Holiday Inn Express ($5,000)
- Tiger Rock Martial Arts ($5,000)
- Leander Beer Market ($5,000)
- Leander Nutrition ($2,500)
- Leander Foot & Ankle ($2,500)
- Menchie's Frozen Yogurt ($2,500)
- Hero’s Way Taekwondo ($2,500)
- Crystal Lake Dental ($5,000)
- Patchouli Joe's Books and Indulgences ($2,500)
- Kepler STEM School ($5,000)
- Smooth Hair and Wax Studio ($2,500)
- The Republic Kitchen + Bar ($5,000)
- Good Earth Day School ($5,000)
- Evan’s Barber Shop ($2,500)
All recipients must sign an economic development agreement, which includes measures to audit and review grant-related expenses, according to the release.
The program aids approved businesses with payments for payroll, leases, mortgages, utilities, and critical business equipment or supplies. All businesses needed to prove eligibility and to show how they were negatively affected by the coronavirus.
The program has $133,000 remaining from the Old Town Grant Program for more grants.
The next round of businesses will be approved May 7 at the regular City Council meeting.