Steve Hanes withdrew from the Place 4 Leander City Council race March 15, Hanes said in an email to Community Impact Newspaper.
Original post: Feb. 15
Ten candidates have filed for the May 1 ballot for Leander City Council.
Mayor Troy Hill and Place 4 Council Member Christine Sederquist are running for the mayoral seat. Hill was elected mayor in 2018 with 61.9% of votes in the runoff election. Sederquist was elected to Place 4 in 2018 with 62.9% of votes.
These are the May election candidates:
- Mayor: Troy Hill (incumbent), Christine Sederquist (Place 4 council member)
- Place 2: Annette Sponseller (incumbent), Esmeralda Traube, Mike Sanders
- Place 4: Steve Hanes, Donnie Mahan, Nacole Thompson
- Place 6: Marci Cannon (incumbent), Becki Ross
Sponseller was appointed to the Place 2 vacancy in October.
Cannon was elected in 2018 with 50.6% of votes. Ross previously ran for the Place 3 seat in 2019; Council Member Jason Shaw won the seat.
Early voting begins April 19. City Council approved an ordinance in December to move the Leander early-voting location from Pat Bryson Municipal Hall to the Leander Public Library annex to minimize time conflicts.
Here are five May election dates to know:
- April 1: last day to register to vote
- April 19: first day of early voting
- April 20: last day to apply for ballot by mail (received, not postmarked)
- April 27: last day of early voting
- May 1: election day