The estimated total will be $9,252,517, according to LISD documents. Teachers and instructional assistants will account for $8,455,757, or 91.4% of the total.
The 2020-21 budget does not take effect until July 1, but the administration may begin advertising the openings and begin hiring, according to LISD documents.
The positions will be budgeted into the new budget, according to LISD Chief Financial Officer Elaine Cogburn.
Cogburn added that there will be a need to hire even more new staff by August.
“This is just the first round,” she said. “As we go through the budget process, there will be more positions.”
During the Feb. 20 agenda review meeting, trustee Aaron Johnson said the action would help the district get a jump on hiring employees in high demand.
The position total is based on the moderate growth scenario in the demographer’s report, an annual study that gauges district demographic and enrollment changes.
The state-mandated expansion of pre-K instruction from half-day to full-day, as well as the opening of Danielson Middle School in August, also factored into the personnel jump, Cogburn said Feb. 20 during the agenda review meeting.
Under the LISD board of trustees' new meeting format, LISD agenda items are discussed during the agenda review meeting, held on the third Thursday of the month, and voted on at the regular meeting, held on the fourth Thursday.
“This is the first round of the process. All positions will be formally approved when the budget is adopted in June,” Cogburn said. “It’s very beneficial for HR. To hire in June is extremely difficult.”
New positions, numbers of hires and total annual costs are listed below.
- Pre-K-12 teachers, 87.5, $5,455,537
- Bilingual pre-K-5 teachers, 12, $797,400
- Special education teachers, 22, $1,376,470
- Pre-K instructional assistants, 25.5, $679,575
- Bilingual pre-K instructional assistants, 5, $146,775
- Elementary school assistant principals, 3, $220,503
- Elementary school office assistant, .5, $15,425
- Elementary school PE assistants, 3, $79,950
- Elementary school fine arts assistants, 2.5, $68,725
- Elementary school library assistants, 3, $79,950
- Vandegrift High School counselor, 1, $74,056
- Vista Ridge High School assistant principal, 1, $84,112
- Vista Ridge High School media specialist, 1, $62,325
- Vista Ridge High School administrative assistant, .5, $23,571
- Vista Ridge High School attendance clerk, 1, $36,345
- Vandegrift High School registrar, .5, $25,899
- Vista Ridge High School registrar, .5, $25,899