Events in JuneJune 14-Sept. 2: Catch a classic
The Paramount Theatre is celebrating its 49th annual summer classic film series, which will run through Sept. 2. Presented by Capital Metro, the series of over 90 films will offer several themed weeks of movies, such as a week of Pride screenings in June, a week of vampire movies, fighting movies, foreign films and more. The full film series lineup, tickets and film fan memberships are available on the theater’s website.
- $14 (general admission), special and multifilm packages available
- 713 Congress Ave., Austin
- 512-472-5470. www.austintheatre.org/film/classic-film-series
The Cedar Park Parks & Recreation Department will host the 2023 Go Skateboarding Day at Brushy Creek Skate Park. The event will include three competitions: a Game of Skate, in which skaters perform each other’s tricks; a street competition; and a bowl competition. The event will also include music, prizes and food available for purchase.
- 5 p.m. (registration), 6 p.m. (competitions begin)
- Free (admission)
- 2310 Brushy Creek Road, Cedar Park
- 512-401-5500. www.cedarparktexas.gov/160/Parks-Recreation
ATX Queer Music Fest will host two Queer Pride Freak Shows featuring drag performances, sideshows, vendors, food and music. There will also be a queer speed-dating event participants can register for on-site for an additional fee. This event is for individuals age 21 and over.
- 7 p.m. (doors open), 7:30 p.m. (show)
- $10 (one-day admission), $17 (two-day admission)
- Sahara Lounge, 1413 Webberville Road, Austin
- Facebook: Queer Pride Freak Shows
The Austin LGBT Chamber of Commerce will host its fourth annual Pride in Local Music block party, a full-scale outdoor live music and creative festival event. Local LGBTQ musicians and performers will take the stage along with artists, makers and creators and participating venues on Fourth Street. A portion of proceeds will go to the Austin LGBT Chamber Education Fund.
- 3-10 p.m.
- Free (general admission with donations encouraged), $75 (early bird VIP), $100 (VIP)
- Fourth Street, Austin
- 512-761-5428. www.prideinlocalmusic.com
Gun Stop will host a four-hour urban survival course to teach individuals in an urban environment how to survive in the event of an emergency. Training taught by survival experts will include how to develop an emergency plan, navigate a city environment, gather supplies, access clean water, start a fire and practice basic self-defense, among other skills.
- 1-5 p.m.
- 2000 Windy Terrace, Ste. 21B, Cedar Park
- 737-471-0227. www.gunstoppro.com
4th of July eventsAustin
Willie Nelson’s 50th annual 4th of July Picnic will take place for a second year at Q2 Stadium. The concert will feature Willie Nelson & Family, Tyler Childers, Dwight Yoakam, Shakey Graves, Shane Smith & the Saints, Asleep at the Wheel and others plus food, drinks and postshow fireworks.
- 1 p.m. (doors), 2 p.m. (show)
- 10414 McKalla Place, Austin
- 512-953-2872. www.q2stadium.com
The city’s July 4th Celebration will be held at Elizabeth Milburn Park. The event will feature carnival rides, live music, concessions, inflatables and a fireworks show followed by a movie in the park. Glass, fireworks and sparklers are not permitted in the park.
- 5-11:30 p.m.
- Free admission
- 1901 Sun Chase Blvd., Cedar Park
- 512-401-5500. www.cedarparktexas.gov/335/July-4-Celebration
Leander’s annual Liberty Fest at Devine Lake Park will feature live music, children’s activities, food and a fireworks display. This year’s performers are Texas country artist Madison Rodges and Austin-based band Departure ATX.
- 6-10 p.m.
- 1807 Waterfall Ave., Leander
- 512-528-9909. www.leandertx.gov/parksrec/page/liberty-fest-2023
The Round Rock Express will host a postgame fireworks show at the Dell Diamond. The fireworks will begin after the Express game against the Sugar Land Space Cowboys.
- 6:35 p.m.
- Tickets start at $49
- Dell Diamond, 3400 E. Palm Valley Blvd., Round Rock
Other events in JulyJuly: 12 Rock out
Girls Rock Austin will host a musical workshop at Cedar Park Public Library, teaching participants ages 8-18 how to write songs and rock out with a stage persona. All genders are welcome at the event. Girls Rock Austin is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing women, girls, and transgender and gender-expansive individuals empowerment through music education.
- 2-4 p.m.
- Free (registration required)
- 550 Discovery Blvd., Cedar Park
- 512-401-5600. www.cedarparktexas.gov/159/Library
Cedar Park Pride and Leander Pride will host an event to raise awareness about LGBTQ issues with community speakers, vendors, food trucks, performers, music and family-friendly activities. The event will additionally provide space for community members and allies to gain information on how to support LGBTQ residents.
- Noon-6:30 p.m.
- Free admission (registration required)
- Live Oak Unitarian Universalist Church, 3315 El Salido Parkway, Cedar Park
- Eventbrite: Leander Pride and Cedar Park Pride Present: Queer EmPower - July 15, 2023