What you need to know
Leander ISD released an online survey where community members can provide input on the 2024-25 academic calendar until Jan. 8, according to the district’s website. The survey asks respondents what type of community member they are and how they feel about certain calendar features.
District officials presented a tentative draft calendar similar to this school year’s calendar at a Nov. 9 school board meeting. The proposed schedule includes:
- A short first week of school starting Aug. 14
- Parent teacher conferences Sept. 23
- A weeklong fall break Nov. 25-29
- Two weeks for winter break Dec. 23-Jan. 3
- An early release day at the end of each semester Dec. 20 and May 23
- Spring break March 17-21, aligning with The University of Texas and Austin Community College
- The last day of school falling before Memorial Day weekend on May 23
“We’re trying to make the best calendar that will meet the needs of the most people in our system,” Chief Academic Officer Matt Bentz said.
Also of note
The tentative calendar shows the district’s spring break aligning with The University of Texas, but that could change, Bentz said. However, the university may move its spring break up a week to coincide with the South by Southwest Conference & Festivals, he said.
The district’s spring break will ultimately need to mirror Austin Community College's as students receive credits from the school, he said. Bentz said he is waiting for UT officials to convince ACC to move its spring break as well.
District officials will present the recommendation for the 2024-25 academic calendar at a Jan. 18 board of trustees meeting, Bentz said.