In 2022, the Cibolo Animal Services shelter saved more than 90% of the dogs and cats that entered the shelter during the year, according to an Oct. 20 release.

The release states that a 90% save rate is the nationally recognized benchmark to be considered “no-kill.” The remaining 10% factors pets that enter shelters that have medical or behavioral circumstances that warrant humane euthanasia.

“I want to recognize the fantastic staff and volunteers at the city of Cibolo Animal Services Division for their dedication and service to the community. Our hard-working employees and volunteers of the animal shelter devote their time to ensuring the animals in our community are cared for and rescued from dangerous situations,” Cibolo Chief of Police Thedrick Andres said in the release.

Data from Best Friends Animal Society’s annual report shows out of the 473 animals that entered the Cibolo shelter, 455 animals were saved, resulting in a 96.19% save rate.

Best Friends Animal Society is a national nonprofit organization, with the primary goal of reaching no-kill nationwide by 2025. Using a blend of data from 2020-22, the organization identified the states of Texas and California as the top priority, according to the organization’s website.

Shelters in surrounding areas, such as Schertz, Universal City and Live Oak, are also listed in the data reports, but do not have reporting data for 2022.