As of early November, work on a project that will build raised medians on FM 1488 from I-45 to Mostyn Drive was 22% complete, according to the Texas Department of Transportation.

The background

TxDOT crews began construction July 6 on a project to build raised medians along FM 1488 between Mostyn Drive and I-45, Public Information Officer Leo Flores said via email. This project is part of a larger TxDOT access management project spanning from FM 1488 to FM 149.

As of November, TxDOT crews were working on truck loons, which add pavement to help trucks make U-turns, Flores said.

The project, which has been in the works since 2019, aims to reduce crashes, improve mobility, and support existing and future development, Flores said. The medians will vary in width from 1 foot to 14 feet.

According to data from TxDOT, total crashes on the road have increased since 2013.
Spanning 12.44 miles, the project is anticipated to cost $10.23 million, according to documents from TxDOT. During construction, drivers can expect one lane in either direction to close between 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., Flores said.

What they're saying

Chris Nunes, chief operating officer of The Woodlands Township, said the portion of the project affecting The Woodlands has not yet begun.

"The median project is a long way out at this time," Nunes said. "We funded the design for the project with the understanding TxDOT will fund the construction. Once the entirety of the FM 1488 project is underway, that's when we will look to that," he said, regarding assessing the impact of the construction in The Woodlands.

The project will be completed from west to east, Flores said.

What's next

Construction for the project is 90% federally funded, and the remaining 10% comes from state coffers, according to TxDOT.

It is slated to wrap in the fourth quarter of 2025.