The Shenandoah Public Works Department will rework its Parks Master Plan following concerns raised from residents and council members at the Aug. 27 meeting.

What to know

The plan was previously presented at the July 23 meeting and developed by the city in partnership with Burditt Consultants, as previously reported by Community Impact.

The agenda packet states that several residents expressed concerns about the idea of building parks at the two city-owned tracts at the end of Rosewood Drive and west of Cedarwood Drive.

The City Council responded and removed those locations as possible future parks.


“I just want to let the public know that we did hear what you have to say, and we did see where there were some errors committed on our part as far as the publication of this plan to the public. ... It wasn't really reviewed to the extent that it should, and that created a lot of confusion out there,” Shenandoah Mayor John Esoto said.

According to the agenda packet, the plan will allow the city to apply for Texas Parks and Wildlife funds in the future, which could help develop a park on the east side of I-45.

“I think it's important that everyone understand that the reason for having a plan, the last plan that we had was 17 years old, and because of its age, we were not able to go out to the state of Texas. ... Those funds come into the city instead of coming out of our local taxpayer dollars,” city council member Frank W. Robinson said.

Also on the agenda


City council members on Aug. 27 also approved an ordinance changing the operation times of its park from 8 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. instead of 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

Council also approved the bid for Republic Services to be the solid waste service for residents for one year. The city will pay $19 per household for trash pickup with a recycling subscription-based plan of $8.32, according to the agenda packet.