Ford, who was also mayor pro tem as a council member, is running against incumbent Mayor Allen Owen as well as Fred G. Taylor.
The Missouri City City Charter states:
“If a member of the city council shall become a candidate for election to the office of mayor or for any place on the city council other than the specific office or place the person is then holding, such announcement of candidacy shall constitute an automatic resignation of the office then held to be effective as of the date of the election to which such candidacy relates, unless such member of the city council resigns earlier in accordance with state law.”
To remain on City Council, Ford would have to win the mayoral election. Either way, the District A position becomes open. Due to the vacancy City Council must fill the position with a majority vote within 30 days following Election Day, or Dec. 6.
The appointed individual will serve until the next regular City Council election in November 2019. Council is seeking candidate nominations until Nov. 9 at midnight. City Council members will begin interviewing selected candidates Nov. 19.
Here is a list of nominee requirements, according to city officials:
- Be a United States citizen
- Be a resident of the state of Texas for a minimum of one year
- Be a Missouri City resident of District A for the six months immediately preceding that person’s election/appointment to fill such office
- Be a minimum of 18 years old
- Have no felony convictions
- Be a registered voter
Citizens can nominate an individual in the following ways:
- Submit a nomination via the city's website link
- Submit a nomination by downloading this form, completing it and emailing it, along with a resume, to City Secretary Maria Jackson at [email protected]
- Submit a nomination in person by visiting City Hall Lobby, 1522 Texas Parkway, Missouri City; ask to speak with the city secretary’s office
- Submit a nomination by emailing or calling HOA Liaison Kelly Matte at [email protected] or 281-403-8500
- Submit a nomination by emailing or calling City Secretary Maria Jackson at [email protected] or 281-403-8500
The following subdivisions comprise City Council District A:
Bermuda Dunes Villas, Colony Crossing, Craven Village, Crestmont Place, Fondren Park, Fonmeadow, Garden Park Village, Glen Park, Hunters Glen I&II, Hunters Green, Hunters Park, Hunters Point Estates, Lexington Place, Parkway Trails, Quail Green West, Quail Green West No. 2, Quail Valley North, Quail Village Town Houses I, Quail Village Town Houses II