Texas residents planning to cast votes in the Nov. 3 general election have until Oct. 5 to register to vote. Those who have had recent name and/or address changes have the same deadline to update their voter registration status.
Harris County voters will be selecting candidates in local, state and federal races, with early voting running from Oct. 13-30. The last day to apply for ballot by mail is Oct. 23.
Citizens can confirm their voter registration status at the Harris County Tax Assessor-Collector and Voter Registrar’s Office website or at the Texas Secretary of State’s Office website.
Visit www.harrisvotes.com for voting locations, sample ballots and other important information leading up to Election Day.
Registration eligibility laws require applicants to:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be a United States citizen;
- Not have been determined by a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be totally or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote;
- Not have been finally convicted of a felony, or, if convicted, to have fully discharged the sentence, completed a period of probation ordered by any court or been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote; and
- Be a resident of the county in which the application for registration is made.
Those who have not yet registered to vote have several options.
- Visit any Harris County Tax Office location to submit a completed, signed form Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Download and print an application in English, Spanish, Vietnamese or Chinese.
- Request an application online from the Texas Secretary of State's Office.
- Request to have a paper application mailed to you via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Provide a mailing address and phone number with your request.
- Call 713-274-8683 to be assisted in English, Spanish, Vietnamese or Chinese.
- Pick up an application at your local U.S. post office, library, high school or other government office.
Completed applications can be mailed at least 30 days prior to the election to the following address.
Tax Assessor-Collector & Voter Registrar
P.O. Box 3527
Houston, TX, 77253-3527