The action taken
Chris McCord, assistant superintendent for operations for CISD, told the board the district received a $10.11 million grant for school safety and facilities through the School Safety and Facilities Grant Cycle 1. This will allow the district to become compliant with Texas Administrative Code Chapter 61, a rule that requires campuses across the state to install safety elements, such as anti-scaling fencing, by August 2024. Earlier this year, another safety grant provided $2.82 million to add anti-scaling fencing in the summer.
The board also assigned architects for preconstruction and design services for bond projects, using firms approved in 2022 for this purpose. This includes projects such as new schools, campus renovations and master plans. According to meeting materials, the next step is negotiations. On Dec. 5, Easy Foster, director of planning and construction for CISD, told the board some projects may be able to start as soon as March.
Also on the agenda
The board also approved the guaranteed maximum price of about $34.8 million for the final 2019 bond projects. Foster said this will include life cycle repairs, such as air conditioning replacements, for these campuses:
- Houser Elementary: adding sprinkler system and AC overhaul
- David Elementary: new roof and AC overhaul
- Rice Elementary: AC overhaul
- Lamar Elementary: remodel kitchen and roof; AC overhaul
- Districtwide athletic improvements
- Knox Junior High School: gym floors and tennis courts
Foster also provided updates on the capital projects underway.
- Safety and security improvements have been performed or are underway in line with the 2019 bond.
- Bartlett Elementary School will open in August 2024.
- Steel has been delivered for Conroe High School renovations, which will be completed in December 2025.
- The Oak Ridge High School overhaul is awaiting utility relocations.
- The East County Transportation Center admin will move in December.
- The North County Transportation Center will see move-in in December with an expanded shop being complete in January.