Check out these five businesses that opened in the Bellaire, Meyerland and West University area in July and August.
1. Urban Bird Hot Chicken opened in late July north of Rice Village at 5404 Kirby Drive, Houston. The venue has two other locations in the Houston area: one in Katy and one in Cy-Fair. The eatery specializes in Nashville-style hot chicken dishes that are cooked to order. Food can be served at different heat levels ranging from "Country"—or no heat—to "Fire in the Hole." The business was founded in Katy in 2020. 346-428-1010. www.urbanbirdhotchicken.com
2. Parachute, the Los Angeles home shopping and lifestyle brand, opened in Rice Village on Aug. 5. The store, located at 2414 University Blvd., Houston, features high-quality furniture, loungewear, towels and sheets. The opening will mark the store's first Houston-area location and 19th overall in the U.S.
3. Zalat Pizza, a Dallas-based chain restaurant, opened Aug. 9 west of the Texas Medical Center at 2303 W. Holcombe Blvd., Houston. The pizzeria features in-house, from-scratch recipes with its own take on New York-style pizza. The latest opening is the chain's sixth Houston-area location and the 24th overall in Texas. https://zalatpizza.com/
4. Nanos, a Spanish clothing chain for children, opened at 2534 Amherst St., Houston. The store specializes in high-end fashion for children and infants. The opening on Aug. 10 marked the company’s first expansion into the Houston area. www.instagram.com/nanos_houston
5. Animal food and amenities chain Pet Supplies Plus held its grand opening Aug. 12. Located at 3851 Bellaire Blvd., Houston, the store held a limited opening in July. The retailer provides pet care for dogs, cats, birds, fish, reptiles and other small animals. Services include grooming, an animal pharmacy, periodic adoptions and other resources to help pet owners. 832-699-5335. www.petsuppliesplus.com