After long consideration, Miller Outdoor Theatre emerged after having to cancel the entirety of its 2020 season due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic; live music, dance and theater performances coming to the outdoor theatre space beginning May 1. Online tickets can be purchased here beginning April 26. A list of the upcoming May performances is as follows.
- May 1, 8 p.m.: Cinco de Mayo at Miller - Headlined by Cindy Shea, two-time Grammy Award trumpet player, all-female group Mariachi Divas de Cindy Shea will provide a festive time for the entire family with a wide range of mariachi music aimed at introducing the audience to a staple of Latino culture.
- May 7 and 8, 8 p.m.: Houston Ballet Reignited - A collaboration between Houston Ballet and Houston Ballet Orchestra, Miller Outdoor Theatre hosts an evening of dance, music and film to reflect on the creativity of the past year and leap forward toward returning to the theater.
- May 14 and 15, 8 p.m.: Marian’s Song - Presented by Houston Grand Opera, this performance tells the story of Marian Anderson, one of the most celebrated singers of the 20th century, who broke racial barriers throughout her storied career, becoming the first Black singer to perform at the Metropolitan Opera in 1955.
- May 18, 10 a.m.: Strongest of the Strong - This virtual-only performance presented by Houston Grand Opera tells the story of Katie Sandwina, a circus strongwoman who defied expectations and helped lead the U.S. suffrage movement in the early 1900s.
- May 22, 8 p.m.: HISD Fine Arts Extravaganza - The Houston ISD Fine Arts Department will showcase a variety of fine arts performances from schools across the district. The program will include singing, dancing, music and acting. This production will highlight representative fine arts programs from throughout the district from kindergarten to 12th grade.
- May 29, 8 p.m.: The Philadelphia Soul Sound - Produced by the Community Music Center of Houston, the Miller Outdoor Theatre hosts a concert with fun, danceable tunes accompanied by lush string and rhythm section arrangements, which gave this popular music its distinctive sound.