Congregation dates back to Georgetown's earliest days
March 9 marks 120 years since the cornerstone was laid for First United Methodist Church, but the church's presence in Georgetown extends back even further.
Shortly after Georgetown's own inception in 1848, the Annual Texas Conference instructed James W. Lloyd to organize Georgetown Mission Church in 1849, according to a history of the church by local historian Clara Scarbrough.
The fledgling congregation was served by traveling circuit preachers and did not have a meeting place of its own until 1874, when the trustees of the school that would become Southwestern University agreed to let the congregation meet in the university's chapel.
Southwestern University's original building was located where Williams Elementary School currently stands in the 500 block of East University Avenue. The church's first full-time pastor, James Campbell, was a Southwestern graduate and began leading the congregation in 1879, according to a Texas Historical Marker.












