She opened Georgetown-based Velvet Rose Esthetics on Feb. 2, 2022, in downtown before relocating the business to Sedro Crossing, a new business and medical office park, in January.
“[My medical background] has helped tremendously because I understand how the body works and the nervous system,” Hinton said. “I understand that skin is so much deeper than what you see; it’s what’s inside as well because when you are stressed, it puts a lot of stress on your body and on your skin.”
The change in Hinton’s career path came during the pandemic, when she was laid off from a previous job and turned 40 in the same year.
“I didn’t know what I was going to do at that point, so I was kind of grasping for straws,” she said. “I always loved beauty; I always loved skin.”
She went to the Aveda Arts & Sciences Institute in Austin to study esthiology and now offers a host of services, including facials, lashes, brows, dermaplaning and chemical peels.
Hinton tailors her services for each client’s specific skin care needs. She also aims to be an affordable esthetician, using and recommending products with quality ingredients that will not break the bank.
“I like to make sure that my client has a whole experience with me from the time they walk in the door,” Hinton said.
Hinton—a military wife and mother of three—said her faith plays a central role in how she conducts business, allowing her to connect with clients.
“I believe that the work I do is really good not just for your skin, but for your spirit,” Hinton said.
Creating a client experience
Velvet Rose Esthetics owner Amber Hinton said she aims to give each client a complete experience. The steps to her customer service include:
- Requiring a preappointment consent form and questionnaire asking about client preferences, favorite aromatherapies and skin care concerns
- Setting a relaxing mood with a candle lit, clean and ready room as well as offering a heated spa bed and robe
- Providing a wide range of customized services including facials, waxing, eyebrow and lash care, and dermaplaning
- Following up with new clients and first-time facial clients the day after service
Hinton said the components of the company’s name come from:
- Her association of velvet with soft and smooth textures
- Her middle name, Rose
4861 Williams Drive, Ste. 107, Georgetown
Hours: Mon., Wed.-Thu. 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Fri. 9 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sat. 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; closed Sun. and Tue.