Georgetown Animal Shelter maintains no-kill status for fifth year

Representatives from the Georgetown Animal Shelter accept a proclamation from Mayor Dale Ross at the Jan. 28 city council meeting. (Courtesy Georgetown Animal Shelter)

The Georgetown Animal Shelter was recognized at the Jan. 28 City Council meeting for achieving a no-kill status for the fifth year in a row. Shelter's that have a live outcome rate of above 90% are considered no-kill. Georgetown's live outcome rate was 94%, which is notable for an open-intake shelter, officials said. Factors in the 94% live outcome rate include a high rate of animal adoptions, the number of animals returned to owners and the cleanliness of the shelter to result in healthy animals, officials said.

Here are some other 2019 numbers to note:

• 807 animals were adopted or transferred to rescue groups;

• 328 lost dogs were returned to owners;

• 41 lost cats were returned to owners;

• 619 dogs and cats were vaccinated at low-cost vaccine clinics;

• 9 employees;

• 132 volunteers; and

• 7,064 hours recorded by volunteers.

The Georgetown Animal Shelter is located at 110 Walden Drive, Georgetown. 512-930-3592. www.pets.georgetown.org
SHARE THIS STORY
By Sally Grace Holtgrieve

Sally Grace Holtgrieve solidified her passion for news during her time as Editor-in-Chief of Christopher Newport University's student newspaper, The Captain's Log. She started her professional career at The Virginia Gazette and moved to Texas in 2015 to cover government and politics at The Temple Daily Telegram. She started working at Community Impact Newspaper in February 2018 as the Lake Travis-Westlake reporter and moved into the role of Georgetown editor in June 2019.

Wolf Ranch Town Center carnival runs through March 1. (Courtesy Adobe Stock)
Carnivals, author talks and more: 5 things to do in Georgetown, Feb. 27-March 1

Looking for something fun to do this weekend in Georgetown?

The future of GoGEO and public transportation in the city is one of many topics that will be reviewed and discussed as part of fiscal year 2020-21 budget planning. (Sally Grace Holtgrieve/Community Impact Newspaper)
Schedule planned for developing Georgetown’s FY 2020-21 budget

A timeline for budget development was presented to City Council on Feb. 25.

Williamson County Sheriff's Office, Williamson County Commissioners Court
Williamson County detective asks for better mental health help for deputies on administrative leave

The detective told the Commissioners Court officers were purposely cut off from communication with the office as part of their administrative leave punishment.

Williamson County EMS, Shantelle Dunn Brannon
Williamson County Emergency Management names first female deputy director

Shantelle Dunn Brannon began the job in late January.

This map provides details on the Highway 195 and Berry Creek Drive project. (Courtesy city of Georgetown)
Highway 195 and Berry Creek Drive project starts in Georgetown this week

The project aims to improve safety by closing the existing crossover and rerouting turning traffic to new turnarounds and auxiliary lanes.

Georgetown Market Days occur on the second Saturday of the month from March to November. (Courtesy Downtown Georgetown Association)
Plays, soirees and mad dashes: 18 things to do in Georgetown this February and March

Check out this list of events in Georgetown happening late February through early March.

Williamson County residential home sales increased 11.6% year over year, according to an Austin Board of Realtors January housing market report. (Ali Linan/Community Impact Newspaper)
Williamson County sees increase in year-over-year residential home sales in January

Williamson County residential home sales increased 11.6% year over year, according to an Austin Board of Realtors January housing market report.

Georgetown ISD rezoning 2020
Georgetown ISD board finalizes rezoning for 2020-21 school year

Students at Pickett, Carver and Mitchell elementary schools as well as Wagner Middle School will be affected.

Sue Harrison Georgetown ISD Round Rock ISD
Georgetown ISD names Sue Harrison as director of human resources

Harrison will start in her new role March 9.

Mango Tango Bistro and Bar Georgetown
Asian fusion restaurant coming to Georgetown Square

The bistro and bar plans to open in mid-March.

Cordovan Art School offers a summer camp. (Courtesy Cordovan Art School)
Check out 29 Georgetown summer camp options for the 2020 season

Parents searching for summer camps have a variety to choose from in the Georgetown area.

Local committee works to see Georgetown completely counted in U.S. census

Members will work to educate residents so they know what to expect and when regarding the census, which, ideally, will make them more likely to respond.

Back to top