San Antonio-area residents looking to have fun during the first week of May can check out featured happenings, such as the dog-friendly Barkitecture San Antonio event; some classical music performances; or Siclovia, where visitors may take to the open streets near downtown.
Baptist Health System invites newly graduated nurses and experienced registered nurses to a hiring event. Licensed vocational nurses and nurse externs are also invited. Hiring on the spot with sign-on bonuses could be offered to qualified candidates. Prospective candidates are asked to RSVP to [email protected]
- 4-6 p.m.
- Free admission
- North Star Mall/Kona Grill, 7400 San Pedro Ave., San Antonio
May 6Phil Hardberger Park Conservancy invites young families and their preschool-age kids to have fun with nature-themed activities, a nature walk and a scavenger hunt.
- 9 a.m.-noon
- Phil Hardberger Park children’s nature play area, 8400 N.W. Military Hwy., San Antonio
May 6Barkitecture San Antonio allows residents and their dogs to check out unique dog houses built by students within local construction, architect and engineering groups. The dog houses will be judged and auctioned off; proceeds will benefit local pet rescues and service dog nonprofits. There will also be food trucks, arts and crafts.
- 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Woodlawn Lake Park, 501 S. Josephine Tobin Drive, San Antonio.
San Antonio Chamber Choir will present Jake Runestad, an American classical music composer and conductor, in a performance of original works and of musical pieces that have influenced him.
- 8 p.m. (May 6), 3 p.m. (May 7)
- Free (RSVP encouraged)
- Chapel of the Incarnate Word, 4503 Broadway St., San Antonio
YMCA of Greater San Antonio will have Siclovia, an event in which attendees can run, walk, skate or ride a bike along an open stretch of roadway. There will be food vendors, informational booths, exercise opportunities, music and other activities along the route.
- 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Route begins at Crockett Park along North Main and Lexington avenues, Augusta Street, Brooklyn Avenue, and Maverick Park at North Alamo Street and East Jones Avenue
Musical Bridges Around the World presents Russian cellist Boris Andrianov and classical guitarist Dimitri Illarionov in concert.
- 7 p.m.
- Free (with registration)
- San Fernando Cathedral, 115 Main Plaza, San Antonio
The San Antonio Planning Department will have an open house to get input on the city’s Greater Airport Area Regional Center Plan.
- 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Piper Bass Memorial Student Center, 12002 Jones Maltsberger Road, San Antonio
Myasthenia Gravis Alamo Area Support Group will meet to provide support, education and awareness of people afflicted with myasthenia gravis and their family members. Local medical personnel and other interested community members are invited to meetings.
- 11 a.m.
- Bexar County Precinct 3 Satellite Office public meeting room, 320 Interpark Blvd., San Antonio