Conroe ISD unanimously approved a recommendation for its 2023-24 school calendar at its Jan. 17 meeting, including 174 total days of school starting Aug. 9.
A district-level committee considered several options as well as calendars from neighboring districts before deciding on a recommendation for the calendar, said Hedith Sauceda-Upshaw, assistant superintendent for teaching and learning.
The school year will start Aug. 9 and end May 23. Thanksgiving break will be held from Nov 20-24, and a preference emerged for a winter break beginning Dec. 18 and ending Jan 2, Sauceda-Upshaw said.
Spring break will be held from March 11-15.
Nov. 7 and March 5 are scheduled for staff development days, and students will be off those days, she said.
Sauceda-Upshaw said the district received 20,000 responses from the community about the calendar this year before developing the final version.
Here is a list of significant days in the 2023-24 calendar:
- Aug. 9: first day of school
- Sept. 4: holiday
- Oct. 6: staff development day (students off)
- Oct. 9: holiday
- Nov. 7: staff development day (students off)
- Nov. 20-24: Thanksgiving break
- Dec. 15: early release
- Dec. 18-Jan. 2: winter break
- Jan. 15: holiday
- Feb. 16: staff development day (students off)
- Feb. 19: holiday
- March 5: staff development day (students off)
- March 11-15: spring break
- March 29-April 1: holiday
- April 19: staff development day (students off)
- May 23: last day of school