The gym was built in 1935 as a part of Missouri City High School when Missouri City and Sugar Land had separate school districts, according to previous Community Impact Newspaper reporting. After the two districts consolidated to create Fort Bend ISD, the building continued to be used as a school gym but was boarded up in 2009.
A group of Missouri City High School alumni advocated to save the gym from demolition and Fort Bend County Commissioners Court purchased the building in 2016 with the goal of renovating it.
Teal Construction Company carried out the $4.6 million rehabilitation project, which was funded in part through the county's 2015 facility bond.
Due to the coronavirus, the gym—which will serve as a community center—is not yet open to the public.